Mt Baker this Weekend

chelle

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TR for Mt. Baker on Saturday: Snow was good up high on the slopes, but sucked down low. Kept catching edges and feel like I got completely worked. Couple of face plants and one tumble on the hard pack. Mild case of whiplash has me thinking about skiing again. I rarely felt this sore while snow sliding on two planks.

Supposedly they got 9 inches of new on Friday. I think most of it was up high or real wet down low so when the grooming machines did their thing it just froze up down low. Saturday it snowed a bit but I don't think more than a couple inches would have accumulated.

ken4ord said:

Hmm, strange, I been told by everyone that Baker has more reliable snow and condition than Stevens. Doesn't seem to be that way this year. I hope they start getting some better condition at least by the end of Jan when I am up there for 5 days. tongue.gif

it changes all year. "realiable" and "good" are two different things.

ken4ord said:

Hmm, strange, I been told by everyone that Baker has more reliable snow and condition than Stevens. Doesn't seem to be that way this year. I hope they start getting some better condition at least by the end of Jan when I am up there for 5 days. tongue.gif

It's been good at Baker, Saturday was a fluke.

Agree with Erock. The snow was really good last time I was there, and it was great this time up high or off to the side of the groomed areas. It just sucked where they had groomed. Unfortunately I am not good enough at snowboarding to stray too far from the groomed blue runs.

I think there is more snow at Baker than at Stevens. From what I've heard Stevens tends to consistently be more icy, but I've never been there so I don't know.

philfort said:

stevens (as it often does) was getting the east wind this past week, which kept the temps colder (and the snow drier grin.gif ) compared to similar elevations west of the crest.

Yep! wazzup.gifthumbs_up.gif Powder.

Although I thought Baker might have made a good ski on the weekend too (in the backwoods). I just wasnt at the resorts so I dont know about the groomed runs subject.