Best Seattle place to pick up Alpine Ski Boots?

glen

Hey, anybody have any opinions on where to go in Seattle to get ski boots? Cheap is good, and knowledgeable staff is good too. For a women's size 9 foot. Oh yeah, downhill boots, not AT or tele. Looking to pick up a pair in the next week.

Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah...you're right - I meant Olympic Sports.

FWIW: Evo Gear is strictly internet based. Me and a bud went to the address on their website hoping to look at some of their stuff and ended up talking to some dude who said we couldn't check anything out and he'd ship stuff across town (Greenlake to Fremont) for $20 bucks.

glen said:

Hey, anybody have any opinions on where to go in Seattle to get ski boots? Cheap is good, and knowledgeable staff is good too. For a women's size 9 foot. Oh yeah, downhill boots, not AT or tele. Looking to pick up a pair in the next week.

Thanks!

Canada wave.gif

How about some place that has a very knowledgable boot fitter. I have tried a couple boots and end up with sore feet by the end of the day. I don't want to drop several hunderd $$ again without some assurances that they either fit or can be made to fit.

Anyone know someone in Seattle that really knows their shit and will work to make sure your boots really fit? We were at Studevants last year and had trouble just getting served. I don't have much hope to find a qualified boot fitter there that will actually be able to give me more than a few minutes of time.

Gordonb said:

How about some place that has a very knowledgable boot fitter. I have tried a couple boots and end up with sore feet by the end of the day. I don't want to drop several hunderd $$ again without some assurances that they either fit or can be made to fit.

Anyone know someone in Seattle that really knows their shit and will work to make sure your boots really fit? We were at Studevants last year and had trouble just getting served. I don't have much hope to find a qualified boot fitter there that will actually be able to give me more than a few minutes of time.

I'd give Sturtavante another try - maybe call and make an appointment as I did to have my liners molded. I've used them several times and had nothing but excellent results. Fitting may be a 2-3 trip process as you spend time in the boots and find hot spots.

Another place to try is Pro Ski Service on Aurora. Haven't used them as much, but got excellent service when I did.

If you are looking for a good boot fitter go to Steve Forsyth, I guess he works at a place called Centerline Ski and Boot Service in Bellevue, he probably owns it. I haven't seen him in years but he used to work in the original Sturtavants store where the Bellevue Art Museum is now and he was the shit for custom ski boot work, in fact I think he was responsible for getting that place the good rep it did.

Never had a problem at any ski shop round here.

I can't see the need to get a specialized fitter for a set of boots you are not touring or walking in much at all.. It just seems to be a rip of money if they charge extra.

Usually a combination of socks etc can help if the boot is slightly too big. If it's too small then you goofed and should have bought it at REI.

Cpt.Caveman said:

Never had a problem at any ski shop round here.

I can't see the need to get a specialized fitter for a set of boots you are not touring or walking in much at all.. It just seems to be a rip of money if they charge extra.

Usually a combination of socks etc can help if the boot is slightly too big. If it's too small then you goofed and should have bought it at REI.

Not a problem if you feet fit whatever the proportions that that maker was designing for. My problem is that I have a very high instep and a fairly narrow heel. I can't get the boots to hold my heal in without crushing the front of the foot.

If I get a boot big enough that the ball of my foot has enough room, my heal is so sloppy that you can't controll the ski.

For me it looks like it will take modification of the lining to get a good fit.

Any shop doesn't work, I have tried a couple, including the ski shop a Bachelor that claimed they could fit me "no problem" only say they are not sure where to go next.

World Cup, Bellevue -- by far the best tuners & boot-fitters in town, even though they employed a friend of mine. Boot selection is limited, so buy whatever you want then take it there to get fitted -- best $45 you'll spend in a long long time of pow-pow cruising.

--cd.