ice-etique

glassgowkiss

Lambone said:

glassgowkiss said:

last year some dolt moron went to set a tr on deeping wall and dropped two 60m ropes on my head, while i was leading madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif, not kool.

Alex Lowe dropped a rope on my head in Bozeman once...I was pissed...but what could I say. I guess my point is that not-only dolt gumby climbers can be assholes...

So are you calling Alex an asshole? That's totally counter to everything I have ever heard about him. hellno3d.gif I'd be amazed if he didn't apologize to you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ehmmic said:

Lambone said:

glassgowkiss said:

last year some dolt moron went to set a tr on deeping wall and dropped two 60m ropes on my head, while i was leading madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif, not kool.

Alex Lowe dropped a rope on my head in Bozeman once...I was pissed...but what could I say. I guess my point is that not-only dolt gumby climbers can be assholes...

So are you calling Alex an asshole? That's totally counter to everything I have ever heard about him. hellno3d.gif I'd be amazed if he didn't apologize to you.

You forgot your snaf.gif.

And that's exactly what I'm saying. thumbs_up.gif

cracked said:

ehmmic said:

Lambone said:

glassgowkiss said:

You forgot your snaf.gif.

And that's exactly what I'm saying. thumbs_up.gif

Agreed, it's moronic. But it's not fair to call them an asshole.

Hmmm... sure there kiddo?

I didn't know Alex well enough to judge whether he was a true asshole or not, I only talked to him breifly a couple of times, but some of my friends who are active climbers in that community thought he was an asshole...but that is besides the point. Even if he was an asshole in person, you gotta respect the dude, he was know for his very selfless acts of bravery in the mountains helping others.

My point is that when people drop ropes from the top of crowded crags without any warning, are being just plain disrespectfull assholes, stupidity is no excuse.

This thread is on it's way to Spray. bigdrink.gif

Lambone said:

Even if he was an asshole in person, you gotta respect the dude...

I've never understood why "heros", who are almost always elevated to such status by accomplishments, and not character, are still respected after they have shown that their character is lacking.

This is not a slam on Alex Lowe in particular, but on all those people out there who are ego-driven condescending assholes when in the company of others they find somehow inferior. Its not always expressed, because everyone has some notion of social skills, but it seems even so that we see this attitude everywhere: professional sports athletes, the dude cranking 13s at Smith who puts down the "gumby" 5.10 slab mongerers, the guy bouldering in Redmond gym who ignores you because you cant send V6. When you register the attitude and point it out to someone else, you *always* seem to get "yeah but man they climb soooo hard!! Didnt you hear, the guy just got off EL CAP!!" <drooool>

My heros are the people who have somehow remained humble in spite of the accomplishments that put them at the forefront of their chosen professions or hobbies. My heros are the dudes who climb way harder than me, but still find pleasure in going climbing with me, not out of pity but because I'm a fun person to climb with, and without putting me down for my (lack of) ability. My heros are the guys who, once they had families to support, scaled back their ambition and stayed alive, rather than live their selfish passion-driven dreams.

Alex said:

...My heros are the people who have somehow remained humble in spite of the accomplishments that put them at the forefront of their chosen professions or hobbies. My heros are the dudes who climb way harder than me, but still find pleasure in going climbing with me, not out of pity but because I'm a fun person to climb with, and without putting me down for my (lack of) ability. My heros are the guys who, once they had families to support, scaled back their ambition and stayed alive, rather than live their selfish passion-driven dreams.

Carlos Buehler comes immediately to mind. What a guy.

Good point, Alex. thumbs_up.gif

Necronomicon said:

Some people treat their dogs worse than they do their climbing partners. F

For example: would you tie your climbing partner to a tree at the base of Yak Peak, give them a small bowl of water on a sunny day, and leave them while you climb 12 pitches and descend, while other teams send down rock all day?

Yeah, that poor dog was scared shitless thumbs_down.gif Maybe you shouldn'ta kicked the poor guy and moved his water dish out of reach, Necro? the_finger.gif