The lost walls of Kormona

lancegranite

The lost walls of Kormona

For your viewing pleasure: This little sub alpine wall is tucked up in the back of a little drainage.

A long approach,river crossing and much bushwacking give the faithful a view like this.

The good news:you will not need a sleeping bag, no camping allowed.

The bad news: It's already been climbed. A couple of times.

Things like this are no secret,have fun.

Best wishes,

L. Granite

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lance -

You make the approach seem much longer/harder than it is. One thing for sure since the FS seems to be letting more a more roads decay a Honda 90 is looking like a very good buy.

All these guys complain about crowding at climbing areas but I never seem to see anyone when I go. They aren't pussies they are lemmings.

PP bigdrink.gif

PS

Work rush is almost over! My goal: humiliate RumR at his home turf (Smith)

No motorbikes in a watershed.

We did it in a 24 hour push on XC skis in April '97.

We left at midnight to begin the approach and were hallucinating by the time we got back to the car.I was seeing rabbits and my partner watched me step over a old man laying in the trail. On the way out we discovered the tracks of two cougars who had followed us in.

Just for fun, I waited to publish this until the weather was shit.

Climbing is fun,

L.Granite

Peter_Puget said:

Lance -

You make the approach seem much longer/harder than it is. One thing for sure since the FS seems to be letting more a more roads decay a Honda 90 is looking like a very good buy.

All these guys complain about crowding at climbing areas but I never seem to see anyone when I go. They aren't pussies they are lemmings.

PP bigdrink.gif

PS

Work rush is almost over! My goal: humiliate RumR at his home turf (Smith)

hahahaha...bring it, Petey!!!

How's the one-arm going? Got two the other day w/ my right...only one on my left crazy.gif

Distel32 said:

buttermilk.jpg

That looks like the Alabama Hills just outside of Lone Pine, CA. That is where a ton of the old Westerns were filmed. The Alabama Hills are a dimunitive High Sierra--they born in the same way but whereas the High Sierra rose and rose, the Alabama Hills never did.

Peter_Puget said:

You got that right, Mr. Puget. You won't see anybody if you go here:

chrom.JPG

The only problem is, it isn't in some guidebook to "select" climbs.

klenke said:That looks like the Alabama Hills just outside of Lone Pine, CA. That is where a ton of the old Westerns were filmed. The Alabama Hills are a dimunitive High Sierra--they born in the same way but whereas the High Sierra rose and rose, the Alabama Hills never did.

Your N. Cascades ID skills may be sharp, but this may be a bit far afield for you. Those are indeed the fabled Buttermilks right outside Bishop, and in the lower right you will see the large distinctive Peabody boulders. Alabama hills are further south, and the rock there is different, and more prone to a brown patina. This is the Alabama Hills (Mt Whitney/Keeler Needle in the background is a dead giveaway):

1970alabama_hills_2-med.jpg

As an aside, in the new Looney Tunes film, you'll see them jump desert locations, from Red Rocks to Alabama Hills, then back to Red Rocks. I guess they unified locations by importing phony Saguaros to both locations.

RuMR said:How's the one-arm going? Got two the other day w/ my right...only one on my left crazy.gif

Speaking of feat's of strength, I just read on some fitness type website (mainly for weight lifters) that an "advanced" exercise is to perform a one legged squat, arms straight out in front, one leg straight out in pike position, squat down ass to calf and back up. Give it a try, it's not too hard, and probably good for developing hip strength and balance. I can only do six with each leg, but no one arm chin ups. cry.gif

Edited by Bronco

• 9 months later...