Ice Pack w/o Tool Tubes?

Lambone

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the TNF packs have a version of "tool tubes" that aren't actually a "tube" of material, but a ring at the top and bottom (with the same quick release. This allows you to slide in any tool, bent, straight, or whatever.

I have an older version and love it. I don't know the names of the packs now-a-days.

Good luck. bigdrink.gif

So basically, any old pack with ice axe loops? Any particular size you are looking for?

Here are a couple I like-

Arcteryx Khamsin 38 - carries great, bungy crampon attachment with patch.

BD Zippo Pack 27 - drop in crampon pouch, nice and compact for climbing in.

wdietsch said:

CCW Chernobyl - call/email them and tell them you want the old style tools loops ... no problem

Cold Cold World custom orders

I second the CCW packs. I have the valdez and it rocks. They do free custom mods so you could order the Chernobyl (which comes with tubes) and have them use the attachment system of the valdez (straps). Awesome stuff. Take advantage of the free custom mods and 'design' your own pack.

Lowe Alpine is making some slick midsized, midpriced packs these days. No, they aren't Archaeopteryx quality, but they are light, they have cool features, and they are relatively cheap.

Check out the Alpine Attack 40/50- gear loops on waistbelt, removable bivy pad, 1.9kg

The Ice Fang has a simple kind of panel attachment system on the back that allows the secure attachment of any kind of ice tool. Plus it's about $100 less than a Nozone.

Ice Fang

Also, if you want a quick release type thing to remove your tool while your pack is still on your back, you can put a clip in the straps (where the ice axe head rests) that come on most packs, and this makes for a quick release system. Haven't done it myself but a friend's mountainsmith pack has this (no tool tubes) and he can remove a second tool with the pack still on his back. pretty cool. This wouldn't work to well though if the handle is much bigger than the shaft (or has a pinky fuck thing).

Dustin_B said:

Also, if you want a quick release type thing to remove your tool while your pack is still on your back, you can put a clip in the straps (where the ice axe head rests) that come on most packs, and this makes for a quick release system. Haven't done it myself but a friend's mountainsmith pack has this (no tool tubes) and he can remove a second tool with the pack still on his back. pretty cool. This wouldn't work to well though if the handle is much bigger than the shaft (or has a pinky fuck thing).

The Osprey Finnesse with the Vetor Ice (interchangeable) attachment panel does this as well. The tubes are more set up for straight-shafted tools, tho. I got ss tools, and it's worked great in the past when I've started a route with one tool, then needed the second while on route. I've even got to teh point where I can put 'em back w/o taking the pack off. Yeah, I am lazy. cantfocus.gifyellowsleep.gif

I'll second the Lowe packs. I also have an Alpine Attack 50 and really like it...though I'd love it if it had the same tool system as my TNF pack.

But be advised it now has a light frame...great for humping moderate alpine loads and occasionally heavier loads. thumbs_up.gif But if you want an old fashioned rucksack, its not your pack. thumbs_down.gif

Alpine Attck 50

Also check out the South Peak for a smaller pack.

wave.gif

Dustin_B said:

sobo said:

Yeah, I am lazy. cantfocus.gifyellowsleep.gif

Not laziness, not having to remove your pack to extract your second tool boils down to speed, efficiency, and safety. But what the hell do I know, I'm a newbie. Geek_em8.gif

I agree with speed, etc. for extraction. Re: my laziness, I was referring to putting the tools away. grin.gif

Got an Arc'Teryx Khamsin 38. Love it. Removable hip belt (great for sliming down for long steep day routes), removable frame sheet (though it provides tons of comfort on approaches), easy to attach crampons, hydration system compatible, excellent fit, awesome materials, awesome build, no bullshit, reasonably priced (buy it at mec in canada). If only mine were'nt munched by alpine rodents of unusual size in the Bugaboos. I like the idea above re: modifying one of the lower loops so it will quick release. If this is done instead of tool toobs some weight is saved. thumbs_up.gif

• 3 weeks later...