Rockies Climbing

spiderman

I need to get some beta on the cheeepest places to stay in the rockies, also I have looked everywhere for the new and old edition of the guide book and have found it nowhere...and I mean nowhere! I'm sure some hostels are cheaper than others, which are the goodies.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alpine Club of Canada in Canmore is a really good value and you'll meet other climbers. On the icefields parkway, Rampart Creek Hostel is pretty rustic but cheap. You're far from gasoline so plan ahead. Ywca in Banff is probably best value there and includes a cafeteria. Also, fancy hostel in Lake Louise. Of course the ideal situ is what I have...climbing partner who lives there! I just got back and conditions were still good with cold temps. "Considerable" avy danger, but you should update conditions.

The new quide book is just out and I'm sure in good supply at a climbing store once you get there! $29.95 cp (canadian peso)

Buy your gas and alchohol in the US. It's cheaper!

Enjoy!!! grin.gif" border="0

DaveIce2.JPG

The cheapest place to stay is in your van. You can park in any parking lot.

As for buying alcohol in the States and bringing it in, you cant get Unibroue beer in the States, so.... why would you even think of bringing USA alcohol to Canada???? [big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

Apart from the hostel, I know of nothing cheap in Lousie.

If staying in Canmore, try the A1 motel. Not perfect, but under 200.00CDN per week with a kitchenette.

It might also be worth trying the motel at Saskatchewan River crossing, an hour North of Louise (1/2 hour South of Polar Circus). A couple of years ago it opened in March, had dirt cheap rates, a hot tub, a bar with a happy hour and Mt. Wilson in the back yard. Just watch those sunny slopes!

GB

All that shit at Saskatchewan crossing was shut down for the season. We stayed at the Canadian Alpine CLub hostel in LAke Louise. It was like 16 US / night. It was pretty fat with a good kitchen, etc. but they jacked the heat in those rooms up so damn high at night I felt like I was in Death Valley in August!! EGhe! But there was a couple hostels up the icefields parkway we didn't check out, but I heard they're ghetto.

Oh yeah, the local bar in GOlden hosts a new stripper every Monday. Its a big deal in Golden, I suggest attending if you want to check out the local culture. shocked.gif" border="0

quote:

As for buying alcohol in the States and bringing it in, you cant get Unibroue beer in the States, so.... why would you even think of bringing USA alcohol to Canada???

Not to mension the alcohal content is a higher % in Canadia anyway... I would drink straight from the breweries in Canadia any day of the week, over American beer...

You could spend good money and get a swanky room in a hotel but think before deciding to get a hotel room. Where will you be climbing? Find the place that is nearest to your climbing. I know people who swore they would stay in a particular place and then ended up driving 3-4 hours a day to get to and from the ice. Fuck that. The best bet is to move between hostels and hotels depending on what you want to climb. Keep flexible. If you want to climb anywhere north of banff, stay in any one of 5 hostels that are all along the road. If you want to climb near canmore or banff, hotels or the club house. Golden? Then stay in the hotels in golden. Don't stay in golden then drive to banff everyday. Minimize the driving and save money on gas.

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: genepires ]