Montrail's new ICE 9

Toast

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The boot will take regular crampons, but the ICE 9 crampon will only work with the Montrail ICE line of boots. Notice the vertical rail in the crampon that fits into the tread of the boot. Also notice the metal cleat in the arch of the boot sole that forms the third point of attachment. This is what stiffens the boot up when in the crampon.

Word is there will be compatible boots that will come out later in the season and another crampon more suited for more alpine style ice (horizontal front points.)

Edited by Toast

The boots are extremely soft without the crampon attached. You wouldn't want to use it with other crampons unless it's a snow slog. Also, getting the crampon on requires sliding the boot tab into the slot on the crampon, so it'll take longer than normal crampons. I wouldn't buy it.

The boots are plenty flexible, that's fer sure, on the level of my La Sportiva Glaciers in terms of how soft they are. I think the point about fitting the tab into the cleat is a concern, but that seems a small price to pay for having a comfey boot that converts into a super stiff pair of ice tools for your feet. I'd like to actually try these things out. I'm sure that Montrail will be making the ice fest circuit.

On that note, what's the latest word on Lillooet?

Adrian posted the link to his web site in the ice conditions forum, check it out.

It seems like a cool concept. I'm not sure I fully understand how it works...

Personaly I like a simpler system. I use the flexible La Sportiva S with Grivel G14's on all kinds of ice routes and it works just fine for me. I think the crampons alone stiffen the boots up enough.

A week ago Monday I stopped by REI to try on some boots before surfing for an on-line deal. Sales guy walks up and asks if I need some help, I ask him about this new boot here and he says " well, let me introduce you to Jim Donnini our spokes person, he'll tell you all about it. It's between 5 and 6 PM and the stores practicaly empty so I hang out with Jim for about 45 minutes and he tells me all about the boot and the system and we just chat for a while. Nice guy that Jim.

I tried on a couple pair and he elaborates on all the details and the testing and developing they have been doing for more than 2 years. It's a comfortable boot (for my foot at least) and I figure the plate on the bottom would take a little practice getting used to but it's no more difficult than the toepiece of a DynaFit binding. In fact it's that plate that makes it suck a bomber combination. He was honest with me when I asked if other crampons were compatible and said no, not really.

Toast was right when he said there will be other boots and another crampon. I would have to argue about them being "extremly soft" though. It's designed for mixed climbing and flexible is good. The crampon is going to stay on the boot and thats more important.

In the photograph of Donnini using the boot, his crampons have a heel hook. Maybe they tested it and it did not work out. I don't know. Why don't you flash Montrail and ask them about it. The crampon is switchable from dou to mono and can be placed on either side. No doubt you would want it in front of your big toe, that's where your balance is.

I'm goint to wait till next season. It's an expensive system to buy into. cool.gif