debate fodder: lots of new climbers

lummox

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scott_harpell said:

rolleyes.gif

You are defining a road cut as wilderness???
rolleyes.gif well it certainly used to be now didn't it? that was my point... saying that we have already defiled the wilderness is not excuse to do with it what we will... if you wanna use that logic, than why not grid bolt index as it used to be a quarry... riiight.

It is no longer a wilderness, duh...why not use it now??

scott_harpell said:

ethics is not relative.

YEah, but you can go get lost if you try to ram your ethics down my throat...ethics are totally relative...

ie, in some civilizations, it was deemed ethical to keep slaves of conquered societies... wave.gif

Like Kurt said - what is wrong with you, Scott? Nobody here has ever advocated grid-bolting Index. Yes, those evil doers have added some sport climbs there over the years -- face climbs that are well away from the cracks -- but even though they haven't been chopped, there is no gang of rappel bolters getting ready to rush in and destroy the place.

RuMR said:

scott_harpell said:

rolleyes.gif

You are defining a road cut as wilderness???
rolleyes.gif well it certainly used to be now didn't it? that was my point... saying that we have already defiled the wilderness is not excuse to do with it what we will... if you wanna use that logic, than why not grid bolt index as it used to be a quarry... riiight.

It is no longer a wilderness, duh...why not use it now??

again situational ethics.

scott_harpell said:

AlpineK said:

Scott it is not a superfluous issue. Please tell me what among these things has the biggest environmental impact.

Power lines

Road cuts

Clear Cuts

Bolts.

(e) the attitude that leads to all 4

I'm sure you live in a recycled tire house, powered by solar panels, eat homegrown sprouts, make your own tofu, walk to whereever you need to get, don't eat processed food, wear organic homegrown hemp clothing, drink natural spring water, don't wash your hair to keep shampoo out of our water, and live in harmony with the land. rolleyes.gif Be one with Mother Earth.

Stick that in your average-income white American pipe and smoke it. moon.gif

Kurt: thumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gif

RuMR said:

scott_harpell said:

ethics is not relative.

YEah, but you can go get lost if you try to ram your ethics down my throat...ethics are totally relative...

ie, in some civilizations, it was deemed ethical to keep slaves of conquered societies... wave.gif

exactly!!! that is a case of situational ethics! they justified their ethics based on the 'curent consensus' similar to what you are sugesting by saying that 'everyone is against you'. ethics are not relative. is it ever ok to murder? no.

mattp said:

Like Kurt said - what is wrong with you, Scott? Nobody here has ever advocated grid-bolting Index. Yes, those evil doers have added some sport climbs there over the years -- face climbs that are well away from the cracks -- but even though they haven't been chopped, there is no gang of rappel bolters getting ready to rush in and destroy the place.

in followed the "it's already fucked" reasoning and showed that that type of reasoning is applicable in another context ie. index. i didn't say anyone wanted to, but using that reasoning they could.

scott_harpell said:

There is another phrase for situational ethics: common sense. To reject common sense in favor of some black and white rules is the practice of someone who doesn't want to live in a thinking, conscous world. Go find yourself a nice totalitarian state where you and the other bolt bigots can make yourself at home.

Free the bolts. Free the bolts. Free the bolts and we're all free to have fun at last!

mattp said:

scott_harpell said:

There is another phrase for situational ethics: common sense. To reject common sense in favor of some black and white rules is the practice of someone who doesn't want to live in a thinking, conscous world. Go find yourself a nice totalitarian state where you and the other bolt bigots can make yourself at home.

Free the bolts. Free the bolts. Free the bolts and we're all free to have fun at last!

Damn Matt!! You're funny!!!

scott_harpell said:

RuMR said:

and yeah, murder is sometimes acceptable...there are circumstances that support it...

when... i defy you to give me an instance.

How bout someone molesting a child? If it were my child, i'd kill that bastard as fast as i could load my gun, then the body would disappear...

How bout spousal abuse?

How bout combat?

How bout just plain getting into a drunken brawl and the guy pulls a knife and its you or him?

Need some more?

How bout state-sponsored capital punishment for a monster like Ridgeway?

You are a fool if you try to force a black and white framework on life...ITS GREY!!

mattp said:

scott_harpell said:

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifyellaf.gif Matt should be made "Master of CC.com"

some mod needs to get right on his new title!

mattp said:

scott_harpell said:

so just let someone say "hmm.. he really pissed me off... i am gonna justify murder... because he made me really mad"... is that the common sense you are talking about matt? you call me a bigot because i try to live in a way with ethics that are not dependent on the dilapidating and increasingly watered down ethics of each generation?