Carabiners: Light and Easy

EWolfe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Alpine Biner

I am a huge fan of these Trangos lightweight wiregates. cool.gif They are as light as the BD Neutrino but considerably larger and easier to use. grin.gif They are also economical. rockband.gif

Weight: 35 gm for the WireGate

Major Axis: 24 kN

Minor Axis: 8 kN

Gate Open: 8 kN

CE

Retail Price: $5.95

I know that mgear.com had some on blowout as a quickdraw and that Second Ascent carries singles. I tried a couple and now have quite a few more. For alpine they rock.

Has anyone tried the newest Trango ?

It claims to be the lightest full sized biner... blush.gif

Dimensions: 93mm x 57mm

Gate Opening: 26mm

Rope Bearing Radius: 4.5mm

Weight: 30gm (1.09 oz)

Major Axis: 24kN

Minor Axis: 7kN

Gate Open: 9kN

Price: $7.50

Available: October 20, 2003 cheeburga_ron.gif

bigdrink.gif

randygoat said:

I've been replaceing my old biners here and there with wire gates, mostly because I do alot more ice than rock climbing and the wire gate gates don't freeze up as bad. I have mostly Dovals[ OP?] and Hot Wires, plus a mixed bag of strays . What ever that is available when I have the cash to spend.

Mixing the new light wire gates with the new thin runners by Mammut[like a shoe string shocked.gif] is shaving some real weight from my old[ancient?] rack.

I hate those Dovals. The biners spin around and you can't really tell which side is up. They suck.

catbirdseat said:

Can someone tell me if there is a keylock pearabiner with an autolock, but not a ball-autolock (like the Petzl William Ball Autolock)?

Yes. It is made by Petzl. I have one but I don't know the name.

Found it: here

Edited by Jopa

erik said:

cbs

the williams is the larger oblong shaped biner? i think they only come in screw gate and with that dumb little ball lock spinner thing.

Yes, that is correct. I hate having to press the little green ball AND rotate the collar at the same time. Jopa found one, such as I described. I want the large size because I use it with an Alpine Bod harness, which does not have a belay loop.

As far as Petzl biners go, the william comes in all four Petzl gate locks, screw, ball-lock, spinball, and their "new" tri-act. The Attache is quite a bit smaller, and comes in screw and spinball. They also make the Am'D which comes in screw, spinball and ball-lock and tri-act. They brought back their locking ovals, but only with a screwgate. I personally find Petzl biners to be "The sh*t", and they populate my rack except for my pile of aid ovals (mostly BD Cheap-ass Ovals @ $3) and a few lightweight wires (WC Wildwires). I Loooooove the ball-lock but almost everyone I climb with curses at them everytime they need to open one. I've not had a single problem with them, even in the ice and snow.

thumbs_down.gif A biner to avoid: I bought some OP non-locking D's on sale at REI-Outlet to replace some stolen ones (at $3.93 each seemed like a great deal). But they suck. Too big, way too heavy (62 g!), and you can't easily tell which end of the gate is the hinge. I know most of you would be smart enough to avoid such a lemon, but just a warning...

ehmmic said:

randygoat said:

I've been replaceing my old biners here and there with wire gates, mostly because I do alot more ice than rock climbing and the wire gate gates don't freeze up as bad. I have mostly Dovals[ OP?] and Hot Wires, plus a mixed bag of strays . What ever that is available when I have the cash to spend.

Mixing the new light wire gates with the new thin runners by Mammut[like a shoe string shocked.gif] is shaving some real weight from my old[ancient?] rack.

I hate those Dovals. The biners spin around and you can't really tell which side is up. They suck.

Yeah I have had that same problem with them spining, but stick some tape[ I put an ID tape anyway] on either end , keeping it consistant , can help stay oriented.