Best way into Prussik Peak?

wscottf

What is the best way into Prussik Peak?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best way into Prussik Peak?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the weather is nice, some will find the Aasgard route better because you spend more time above timberline, looking at the views. However, even though it is maybe 1/2 mile shorter with a few hundred feet less elevation gain, I don't think it is any easier because the trail is better coming in via Snow Lakes. At this time of year, Snow Lakes for sure is the way to go because you'll be able to retreat back down the way you came if the weather craps out on you. Chances of weather crapping out in November: huge.

I'd definitely choose snow lakes for going into prusik. Hell, if you pack light enough you can trail run that approach. The same can't be said for aasgard. I'm not sure why everybody seems to make the aasgard pass approach sound so ominous, however. It's not some death trap or anything.

JoshK said:

I'd definitely choose snow lakes for going into prusik. Hell, if you pack light enough you can trail run that approach. The same can't be said for aasgard. I'm not sure why everybody seems to make the aasgard pass approach sound so ominous, however. It's not some death trap or anything.

I think walking around the lake is the worst part. The Aasgard route is the better one when there is snow and you can walk on the lake.

Szyjakowski said:

[how many miles?

i vote for snowlakes as its a straight forward highway.

Get the 8 miles to the drainage out of the way at night up Ingalls Creek. 3.5 hours up crystal creek via easy hiking and you're in the upper enchantments. You know how outstanding the scenery is back in there. Tons better than snow lake trail.

mattp said:

You are right, Cavey, but it is easier to ask again than to run a search - and quite often the search function doesn't work anyway. Meanwhile, you never know if somebody might have some new views on the matter or maybe even some current information.

I said it was boring.

The search function works for me. I know how to enter the data. I am not arguing the simple concept of the poll though. That is new and cooler than most previous requests. New information is usually something like blowdowns or avalanche debris. I still stand with this as a boring subject most of the time. If it was approached a little differently like asking for new information or including the poll makes it better. That way you dont have to hear all the snotheads chestbeating about 3 hours this way 4 hours that way ass licker pass views , how to spell the peak's name etc.

Cpt.Caveman said:

That way you dont have to hear all the snotheads chestbeating about 3 hours this way 4 hours that way ass licker pass views , how to spell the peak's name etc.

hahah! thumbs_up.gifhahaha.gif

In any event, I'm not sure it matters which approach is "best". They both get you there, and probably in similar amounts of time. I think what matters more is which one you like more or which one you are in the mood for. If I want to see the lower lakes I take snow lakes trail, if I want to see the high lakes, I take assmaster pass. I've done both and will certainly do both again. Sticking to one way is the best way to assure you'll begin to hate that way!

• 1 year later...