Bug

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jkrueger said:

MysticNacho said:

I'm not all familiar with the exploits of Tori Allen. I know she's a sport climbing wonder girl, and that she has her own action figure, but thats about it. Has she been lying about her accomplishments or something?

No, the cc.com community is outraged because they feel the Tori Allen doll is not an accurate representation of the women climbers they are familiar with due to the lack of slobber whistle head action and a nasty PM to trask accessory kit.

that is just totally unnecessary! save it for spray at least madgo_ron.gif

tori is about as high on the poser scale as timy fairfield back in 94 when he wore that froufrou scarf around his waist all the time and had bulimia, and when 13d sends were still noteworthy boxing_smiley.gif

but i don't think timy ever had an agent book him on the tonight show to proclaim a 14a send, and then 2 yrs later still hadn't sent the 14a in question

my prediction for tori: she will grow up, hit puberty, drop out of civilized society, do "the Rodden" and end up marrying Dave Graham... the two will become bouldering hermits and only make the news once a year... the agent will have found an 8 year old boy who sends 14c to hype...

jkrueger said:

Kids like toys. I would rather see girls playing with a Tori Allen doll that promotes active outdoor pursuits than a Barbi that promotes vanity and empty consumerism.

Why is it okay for The Rock to have an action figure and promote himself, but wrong for Tori Allen to do the same?

The Rock is an actor and WWE wrestler. His world is all about shameless self promotion and the almighty dollar. If ya'll feel it's okay for a new generation of kids to view climbing in the same light, then fine. This is what leads to sports becoming about vanity and empty consumerism. Look at the snowboarding scene - the latest and greatest gear is more of a priority to kids than the actual sport.

I have nothing against Tori - she sounds like a great girl and very well adjusted; good for her to take advantage of these opportunities. However I don't have to like what these opportunities, that only a few individuals benefit from, are doing to climbing. thumbs_down.gif

BTW: there are outdoor Barbies now.

0002708409205_500X500.jpg

Figger_Eight said:

jkrueger said:

Kids like toys. I would rather see girls playing with a Tori Allen doll that promotes active outdoor pursuits than a Barbi that promotes vanity and empty consumerism.

Why is it okay for The Rock to have an action figure and promote himself, but wrong for Tori Allen to do the same?

The Rock is an actor and WWE wrestler. His world is all about shameless self promotion and the almighty dollar. If ya'll feel it's okay for a new generation of kids to view climbing in the same light, then fine. This is what leads to sports becoming about vanity and empty consumerism. Look at the snowboarding scene - the latest and greatest gear is more of a priority to kids than the actual sport.

I have nothing against Tori - she sounds like a great girl and very well adjusted; good for her to take advantage of these opportunities. However I don't have to like what these opportunities, that only a few individuals benefit from, are doing to climbing. thumbs_down.gif

what's that? snow bunny barbie? rolleyes.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

except that I think she is a poor representation of WOMEN climbers.

Humble, polite, friendly, encouraging, intelligent, articulate, multitalented, motivated, successful ... by all accounts, a lousy representation of most women climbers, and a poor role-model to boot. rolleyes.gif

Right. tongue.gif

I am now taking this back... Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Figger_Eight said:

jkrueger said:

this is better thumbs_up.gif

Hey Bug,

Did you ask her if you could post that email here? Or at least notify her that you were going to? Just curious...I don't have any opinions about her, I think kids who climb and love it are cool...when I was a kid I dreamed of making money climbing...why not?

Figger_Eight said:

I have nothing against Tori - she sounds like a great girl and very well adjusted; good for her to take advantage of these opportunities. However I don't have to like what these opportunities, that only a few individuals benefit from, are doing to climbing.

Hell yes! I couldn't send a 10b last week because of these opportunities. And I suspect it was these opportunities that made me sleep late and have to wait for a route that other time. These opportunities are ruining my climbing, and I think I speak for the whole cc.com community when I say, these oportunities are ruining my climbing!

rolleyes.gif

Lambone said:

Hey Bug,

Did you ask her if you could post that email here? Or at least notify her that you were going to? Just curious...I don't have any opinions about her, I think kids who climb and love it are cool...when I was a kid I dreamed of making money climbing...why not?

Re-read her email. Your answer is in there.

What I don't know is bigger than what I do but when my girls see other people doing things, they want to get involved "because everybody else is doing it". They own several Barbies apiece. Makeup and sexy clothes are in high demand (they are 5 and 7). So if you think I am going to discourage them from fawning over Tori, I have to doubt that you have any idea what it's like to raise girls today. But you are still entitled to your opinion regardless of what it is based on.

Bug said:

Lambone said:

Hey Bug,

What I don't know is bigger than what I do but when my girls see other people doing things, they want to get involved "because everybody else is doing it". They own several Barbies apiece. Makeup and sexy clothes are in high demand (they are 5 and 7). So if you think I am going to discourage them from fawning over Tori, I have to doubt that you have any idea what it's like to raise girls today. But you are still entitled to your opinion regardless of what it is based on.

climbing clothes are very revealing and I bet Tori wears makeup too

arlen said:

Figger_Eight said:

I have nothing against Tori - she sounds like a great girl and very well adjusted; good for her to take advantage of these opportunities. However I don't have to like what these opportunities, that only a few individuals benefit from, are doing to climbing.

Hell yes! I couldn't send a 10b last week because of these opportunities. And I suspect it was these opportunities that made me sleep late and have to wait for a route that other time. These opportunities are ruining my climbing, and I think I speak for the whole cc.com community when I say, these oportunities are ruining my climbing!

rolleyes.gif

whatever...you don't like crowds, don't go to crowded cliffs...the rock doesn't have your name on it...I bet these kids know alot more about sharing than you. And don't ever speak for me again please...thanks. Good luck on that 10b project rolleyes.gif

Bug said:

Lambone said:

Hey Bug,

I don't have any opinions about her, I think kids who climb and love it are cool...when I was a kid I dreamed of making money climbing...why not?

So if you think I am going to discourage them from fawning over Tori, I have to doubt that you have any idea what it's like to raise girls today. But you are still entitled to your opinion regardless of what it is based on.

Uh...maybe you missed my point, but I think anything that encourages kids to climb is cool, even if it's dumb little plastic dolls...

Bug said:

Lambone said:

Hey Bug,

You're prejudiced because you have little girls. Your saying you'd rather have your kids idolizing Tori Allen rather than Britney Spears. Still doesn't make her acceptable to the rest of the climbing community who don't have the same issues you do.

But you used to climb in the Bitterroot, so your cool as far as I'm concerned! bigdrink.gif

arlen said:

Figger_Eight said:

rolleyes.gif

Nope...I don't speak for the whole community - it's just my opinion. If you don't see an issue with the commercialization of climbing in this manner, then you are probably the guy who pulls up to the REI Pinnacle in his H2.

Try again when you have something intelligent to add you tool. rolleyes.gif

specialed said:

Bug said:

Lambone said:

Hey Bug,

You're prejudiced because you have little girls. Your saying you'd rather have your kids idolizing Tori Allen rather than Britney Spears. Still doesn't make her acceptable to the rest of the climbing community who don't have the same issues you do.

But you used to climb in the Bitterroot, so your cool as far as I'm concerned! bigdrink.gif

I am thinking that the differance between Tori Allen and Britney Spears is about nil.. that is MY OPPINION and I am not an expert on either.

It seems to me that the people complaining about Tori Allen, are really just upset about the popularization of rock climbing. What is so hypocritical about the whole argument is that these climbing web sites that the complainers frequent probably increase the popularity of climbing alot more than some girl on a magazine cover with a dumb doll.

minx said:

ok-simple question for all the deep thinkers. would this be ok if it was some unnamed female action figure climbing doll or whatever it would be called?

As long as her website/agent/hypester didn't refer to her as the "All Around World Champion Climber", I wouldn't give a smileysex5.gif!

Lambone, I answered your question then moved on. Didn't make that clear. Sorry. Special Ed, maybe if my little girls weren't the best humans to hit the planet this century I wouldn't be so biased. But from a totally different angle, I have to say that anything that promotes an activity increases the voting block that will help ensure the long term survival of the requisite resources.

Muffy, who do you think little girls should look up to?

wave.gif