Washington's 100 Highest

vegetablebelay

There has been the occasional reference on this board regarding Washington's 100 highest peaks, and there are many local climbers that have a goal (whether stated or kept secret) of climbing all of these peaks. Here is a link to a fascinating story of the group who first made it their mission to climb each of these peaks:

100 Highest

Scroll down or click the link for the story.

These weren't first ascents necessarily and you won't read a whole bunch about these people beyond this story and an occasional mention in Beckey's guide, but I thought it would of interest to hear their story here. cool.gif" border="0

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: vegetablebelay ]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veggie, one of the best posts I've seen...thanks.

As a side note I know a couple guys who have done all the peaks in the Olympics. Though Mt. Olympus (7965') doesn't even make the top 100, these mountains have long approaches, involve serious bushwacking and have more vertical than many of the Cascades and also feel very remote. A notewothy accomplishment.

Speaking as someone who's actually doing them...

All those peaks in the Top 100 belong there except "Horseshoe Peak". Horseshoe Peak is not a separate summit. It's merely a ridge high point with <400ft of prominence. There are many such ridge high points in the Cascades.

I have oftened wondered just how this "peak" got put on there in the first place. Perhaps the first people to be undertaking the TOP 100 saw it while doing Buckner and decided to put it (Horseshoe) on the list AFTER climbing it. Nonsense, if true.

It ought so much to be removed in favor of a much more worthy candidate like poor old peak #101, whose rightful place on the list was taken away by that impostor Horseshoe.

veggie belly: I assume you're being facetious.

Have you seen Horseshoe Peak? It's prominence is 80 ft. You wouldn't have to look hard to miss it. You would have to look hard to see it.

"Lowly" peak #101 is none other than Mt. Ballard. If you know about Mt. Ballard, you'll know it is a travesty that it is not on the list. It's height is between 8,320 and 8,340 ft. It's one of the largest mountains in the area east of Granite Creek (N of Rainy Pass, SW of Harts Pass). You simply can't miss it. THAT PEAK BELONGS ON THE LIST. Remove Horseshoe and Ballard takes it's rightful place.

Actually, I'll probably wind up doing both Horseshoe and Ballard, the former to appease Bulgarist purists, and the latter to please realists (like John Roper, who understood the mistake, perhaps).

quote:

Originally posted by klenke:
veggie belly: I assume you're being facetious.

---Yes, I am.

Have you seen Horseshoe Peak? It's prominence is 80 ft. You wouldn't have to look hard to miss

---Still, it's being included on the list of just about everyone attempting this feat.

and the latter to please realists (like John Roper, who understood the mistake, perhaps).

It's nice of you to mention John Roper who didn't get much recognition in the story I posted the link to. cool.gif" border="0

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: vegetablebelay ]

This is bullshit!

I wish to be put lower on that list, and please put me ahead of Dan!

I had my day, and did more gravity bongs and 6 foot grafix bong hits than you can shake an ice axe at! I am alomst pernamently fucked up from all the pot I smoked, so i think that deserves at least #94! mad.gif" border="0

Hmmm, 82 of Canada's Top 100 are in the St. Elias Range. Saint Elias: Patron Saint of High Mountains.

Thanks for the listing, Dru.

FYI, Bugaboo's height is 3186 meters (but it's not the highest in the Purcell Range). I think the highest is Mt. Farnham (3,459 m).

Highest summit on Vancouver Island: Golden Hinde at 2,200 meters (7,216 ft +/-)

And of course right next to the Golden Hinde is the famous "BeHinde" [laf]

Im still trying to work out how to do highest 100 by province. You ca do them by range but Im not sure if bivy.com allows province searches.

I know people like Erik Frebold have done the alphabetical thing climbing one peak of each letter of the alphabet from Fairley's guide. There is no mtn starting with X though so you have to climb an officially unnamed mountain for that one. Although only 26 peaks instead of 100 it is harder to complete as some of the letters like Q are pretty obscure and difficult summits to reach.

quote:

Originally posted by imorris:
I didn't realize how high the coast range was up there.

shhhhh wink.gif" border="0

quote:

If you want a remote, wild trip w/luxury of hut, I highly recommend heading into the Clemenceau Group (#10 on that list) w/ a stay at the Grassi hut, which sits at a phenomenal location.

Yeah, there is a hut near Waddington too! Plummer hut. Fly in or hike for a few days through grizzlies and bush. Great rock climbing at hut door and basecamp for big Wadd and other mighty summits. Fend of the falaffelhounds trying to eat your 2 weeks of food. Smoke up the hut pineyK style wink.gif" border="0 during weather breaks.