Partner Failure TR

Formaldehead

Had trip planned, sure the weather was looking marginal, but who cares? You can't strike out if you don't step up to bat, right?

The kid's supposed to call me on Saturday night, we were going to leave on Sunday at 3am to go car to car. I end up calling him at 7pm, to find out his deal, and he's like "Dude...I'm so friggin tired...let's go to Mount Erie instead"

FTN! I went to the gym instead. What would you do?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Formaldehead said:

I tried not to lose it on the kid, but I don't think he's near the top of the list any more for partners. Is this a common thing for suit & tie guys to do, puff out there chests, then bail at the last second? Maybe I shouldn't climb with anyone that has an office.

i usually give someone three chances. they fuck those up i never call again. work kids or so are the typical lame scapegoats

olyclimber said:

I always try to back up any trip that depends on someone else with a good contigency plan so you don't blow a good day, weekend, or whatever. I also tend to agree with the three strikes you're out....I don't care if you wear a tie or not.

So do you let your back up plan partners know they're the back up so they don't consider you a flake if your original plans don't fall through?

I think that the difference comes from motivation. A partner that is motivated to climb is a good partner. A partner that is motivated to parade their mediocre climbing accomplishments in front of their cubicle-bound colleagues on Monday morning, so that they can be seen as "XTREME", is not a good partner.

I can't believe you guys give THREE chances. For me one is max unless they have proven to be good partners prior. Still two would be the max last minute bail I could ever put -up with.

Bronco, It would be a crime to turn down a real Rainier Beer.

But face reality, Philipe Morris bought and closed down all three of the old school brewing icons of the NW. And in so doing fucked over a whole lotta people. Then they sold off the brands to a South African brewing conglomerate.

Why would anybody drink a Rainier any more??? Do you really want to help line the pockets of wealthy post aparthied racist?

I'm with TG - three chances is pretty generous. However, it all depends on who you are dealing with. If I don't know somebody and they stand me up or turn out to be a pain in the ass the first time we try something, I may not be in much of a hurry to go climbing with them again -- whereas I've had some friends who stood me up or otherwise proved to be a pain in the ass repeatedly and I still kept climbing with them.

Terminal_Gravity said:

I can't believe you guys give THREE chances.

I guess you're right on that one. The three chances are for my homies, and after that they're not in the club. But if you don't know the person, then they have just made a big statement about their character...and who needs them. And if the person just happens to be your little brother....well then it's time to open up a can of W.A. pitty.gif

Terminal_Gravity said:

But face reality, Philipe Morris bought and closed down all three of the old school brewing icons of the NW. And in so doing fucked over a whole lotta people. Then they sold off the brands to a South African brewing conglomerate.

Why would anybody drink a Rainier any more??? Do you really want to help line the pockets of wealthy post aparthied racist?

A guy can't even enjoy a cold beer anymore without having to consider the political ramifications he's indirectly supporting? What is the world coming too? sheesh!

How about Schmidt? Is that stuff still NW brewed? Lucky? Oly? Henry's? What's a guy with an obsession for cheap beer to drink while maintaining a firm moral stand?

Bronco said:

Terminal_Gravity said:

A guy can't even enjoy a cold beer anymore without having to consider the political ramifications he's indirectly supporting? What is the world coming too? sheesh!

How about Schmidt? Is that stuff still NW brewed? Lucky? Oly? Henry's? What's a guy with an obsession for cheap beer to drink while maintaining a firm moral stand?

Your best bet is Henry's; which is now being brewed on contract by Full Sail brewing company. The mind boggles.