Leavenworth Route Suggestions?

DaveD

Hey,

I'm heading to Leavenworth next weekend and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on route selection as I have never been there. I climb 5.9ish on rear and 5.10+ sport. Single pitch, multipitch I am game for anything. I noticed that there is a new guide book out and I will be getting that this week. Thanks in advance for your sugestions.

Cheers DaveD

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, you are going to my favorite WA cragging area.

Best Trad: Midnight and Castle Rock. Best sport: Rattlesnake Rock.

Best easy to find and access bouldering: Swiftwater picnic area.

All of these formations are found in Tumwater canyon off US highway 2.

With the exception of perhaps Snow Creek Wall and the Givler's Dome area, rock climbing in Tumwater Canyon is much better than rock climbing in icicle creek canyon (A big plus when you've spent 2.5 hours in your car going over from Seattle). Plus it is often dry when the icicle is seeing light drizzle. Also most of the best routes are pre 1989.(even sport routes) as most of the newer routes are short scrubbed slabs or very short one half pitch cracks in obscure locations .

Have fun.

Hope I din't sound to opinionated bigdrink.gif

All discussions aside of whether the climbing in the Icicle or Tumwater is better, you might also consider checking out the following in the Icicle:

Pearly Gates- tons of stuff around 5.9-5.10, mostly cracks and slab.

Duty Dome area: lots of new routes around 5.9-5.10, both bolted and gear and the classic 5.10A slab pitch called Off-Duty. Also has one of the best "sport" routes I've done in Leavenworth called Jazzy Document 5.9. It's far enough off the beaten path that you probably won't see other people there. boxing_smiley.gif

Don't forget "Gunrack" at Clem's Holler @ 5.9 sport, "Perplexus" at the Nut House @ 5.10 sport, "Regular Route" on Careno @ 5.10 gear but not too stiff. "Yard Art" to "West Face of Peek-A-Boo Tower" @ 5.9+ gear and the almighty "Classic Crack" 40' pitch for something to toprope for beginners. All of the routes I mention here are in the recently published guidebook from Viktor Kramar.

Condorphamine Addiction - about 8 30 meter pitches of 5.8 - 9 with a move or 2 of 10c. Bring 12 qd's

Givlers Crack (5.7) is worth the hike - then you can do the perfect 10 - Bo Derrick (5.10)

Everything at Pearly Gates

and of course, Orbit and Outer Space

they are all about the same.

the 1st kramer book had a binding that has lasted the other two just plain suck. look for it to fall aparat in less then a years time. i heard a rumor that guidebook authors do this to help increase book sales. but i dunno. sounds more like a warranty issue then anything. maybe authors should replaces jingusly binded guide books? i have quite a few that are falling apart!!!!

other then that, the old white kramer guide had better hand drawn topos of scw. the nice thing about the newest book is that kramer went with pictures and i guess there are lotsa new bolted routes too, as well as a few crack routes.

tho sadly there are no pics of scuzzy, so what good is the new book? and actually i personally think most of the pics dont convey a good image or what i see lworth as. but what do i know?? mostly nothing.

Billygoat said:

I should have said where shocked.gif

I heard that the olds ones are better for some reason....?

As Erik says, the new one doesn't have as much information. Missing are topos and pitch information.

Included are many new routes, probably forcing efficiencies. There will be more adventure with the new

book as climbers discover on their own things which previous books would have divulged. shocked.gif