Static Point conditions

dharmabum

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went to Index on the 15th the sign still said "closed until further notice". I seriously doubt Static or Sultan Basin will open this year because the terrorist threat to our water purity still looms so large [hell no] .usflag.gifI hatethat Osama guy! mad.gif" border="0

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: chucK ]

The terrorist threat is, I understand, B.S. My information may not be correct, but I read in the National Enquirer that there is no known toxin that could be used to poison a water supply as large as a mountain reservoir because it would be too diluted unless somebody were to drive up there with a tanker truck or something.

Anyway, I just heard an alternate theory about the closure. They closed the access from downstream (is that the 5000 road?) a few years back, and now they've closed the upstream access to the reservoir. Maybe the dam is showing signs of liquification, something that is not at all uncommon for earthen dams and which would pose a serious threat to public safety (check out, for example, the Buffalo Creek Disaster).

Are they keeping us out for our own good? Maybe its dangerous (and look out below).

Just a little more...Howard Hanson Res. Access denied...Tolt Res access denied...Chester Morse Res access denied...The list goes on...

I just spoke with my cousin, who's a systems inspector for The City of Everett Dept. ot Water...He said there's no danger of any of the dams failing on they're own, and the reason for the closures ARE related to terrorism, not threat of contamination ubt of blowing up the dams, causing flooding problems, and water and power shortages.

Until this threat has been vanquished the only way to Static Point is the way the prospectors went, via the Wallace Railway. Since this no longer exists, you must walk the route, much of it fire roads. This should take about 2 1/2days each way.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on access to the Sultan Basin. There is obviously still several feet of snow up there. I spoke with someone at the City of Everett today and was told that things were still up in the air; nothing will happen until the FBI downgrades the level of security alert. All he could say was keep checking back for status. I drove up to the pass on Saturday; quite a bit of snow. Since the area is closed, I did NOT snowshoe down to the Static Point spur. Not having snowshoed to the spur (that would be wrong), I didn't see that the road is slowly being reclaimed by vegetation and a large tree (16-18") was down over the road about .5-miles up. [Wink]

Greg

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

The terrorist threat is, I understand, B.S. My information may not be correct, but I read in the National Enquirer that there is no known toxin that could be used to poison a water supply as large as a mountain reservoir because it would be too diluted unless somebody were to drive up there with a tanker truck or something.

Anyway, I just heard an alternate theory about the closure. They closed the access from downstream (is that the 5000 road?) a few years back, and now they've closed the upstream access to the reservoir. Maybe the dam is showing signs of liquification, something that is not at all uncommon for earthen dams and which would pose a serious threat to public safety (check out, for example, the Buffalo Creek Disaster).

National Enquirer... a damn credible source you reference there Matt!

I see the headlines "OUR WATER SUPPLIES ARE SAFE" right next to "RACHEL BABKIRK GIVES BIRTH TO BORBON'S 3 HEADED LOVE CHILD" and "POPE COMES OUT ABOUT HIS BIG LOU FETISH TO HILLARY CLINTON AT BETTY FORD CELEBRITY GET- [laf] TOGETHER"

Are they keeping us out for our own good? Maybe its dangerous (and look out below).

[ 04-22-2002, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Dru ]

Hmmmmmm.....

This is what somebody else said on another website...

Salish

Group: Members

Posted: April 04 2002,15:15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twocoots,

I just got off the phone with the Henry M. Jackson Power Plant at Spada Lake Rec Area. They tell me that the Rec Area will open at the start of the general fishing season, which is usually the last weekend in April. Access to upper & lower Greider Lakes will be open, but this is all from the Sultan side - the Granite Falls entry will remain closed. They said to call later for updated info, and if you need the number here it is:Henry M. Jackson Hydroelectric Project, (425) 347-5549, 31411 - 116th Street SE Extended, Sultan, WA 98294.

Cliff

And another person I spoke with said that mountain bikes are allowable......they just don't want people with big trucks on the road for 9/11 reasons.

• 2 months later...

Static Point is OPEN!

Jeff and I went there yesterday afternoon. The spur road is a bit overgrown and there's a large (2+ foot diameter) tree down that adds about 10 minutes to the approach. But the granite is still smooth and grippy [big Grin] .

Since you asked [Cool] ...

Got up late on Saturday figuring it was gonna be wet and was surprised by the sun. Talked Jeff into climbing one more thing with me and we headed up there (Sultan Basin Recreation Area) at about noon.

It was pretty wet up there and the road is somewhat overgrown. Someone has cut some of the saplings away from the spur road, and we cut a few more, but I would suggest getting someone else to drive you if you like to baby your fancy ride [Razz] .

After some vacillating over heading out into the mist or going home, we went for what we thought would just be a nice hike through the woods. The old logging road is now getting overgrown enough that it's more like a trail than an ugly road. I guess I was in a good enough mood despite the damp to think it was pleasant.

After the usual hump up through the scenic old growth we arrived at the "Point" to find it dry (between the wet streaks). We knocked off Online in surprisingly quick fashion AND it had not started raining on us. In fact the wet streaks were even drying up and we'd get some intermittent sunshine.

So we decided to go for Offline too. At one point I was leading up the fourth pitch and the sun came through the clouds. It was at the perfect angle to make all the little knobby ripples cast long shadows.

The temps must have been perfect for slabbing as it just felt like you could walk up anything. The slowest part about the climbing was waiting for the belayer to pull up the slack. I led the crux pitch of Online without incident even though the toe of my left shoe got blown out lower down.

We headed back down around 7:30 and were home by 10. Pitches go by pretty quick when everything is a hold and there's about 3 pro opportunities per pitch! [Wink]

Chuck