The Big Rolling Eyes - Comparing Sprays and non

Dru

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru, I'll answer your question instead of trying to avoid it. I believe that the reason we cannot have a reasonable discussion of bolting practices on this board is because some people do not want there to be one. I don't think it is because everybody hates mattp, and I don't think it is "bogus" to want to explore an emotional topic in a sensible manner. Is it unnatural? Perhaps. But I think it is worth a try. Why are YOU so dead set against it?

You argue that nothing good can come of it, so why bother. Why don't you just ignore the discussion then?

erik - if it is about respect or a lack of it i think that there is a lack of respect shown by mattp for differing means or methods of expression by mattp on the latest bolt threads - specifically threatening to ban dwayner - and no lack of respect on the cascades thread.

i see what mattp would call "spray" on the cascades thread like attitude has some pagetops and so on. i dont think it detracts from anything. -----> like this snaf.gifsnaf.gif since Sphinx forgot it

matt - do you think that as a result of discussion in a political/environmental thread that all of a sudden MtnGoat will advocate emissions controls, Trask will come out against gun ownership, or j_b will say that big business is what America needs more of?

I don't, and I don't think, however its debated, you are going tobe any more successful in changing pope or dwayner's opinion, or methods of expressing their opinion, about bolts.

So all I see in your supposedly "sensible" bolt debate is trolling - a type of spray. wave.gif

Dru-

I don't believe it shows any lack of respect for Dwayner to steadily post, for two or three years, that I think he should not be allowed to destroy all bolting topics and then to conclude that asking him to stop it is not working. I simply posed the question: is it perhaps time to start temporary suspending people who refuse to shut up when they are told to stop disrupting legitimate threads? Are you afraid that I might target you for such a suspension next? Is that what this thread is really about?

Back to your original premise: can you find a single example of where I have tried to keep somebody out of a discussion because I did not agree with their position on the core issue under discussion?

erik said:

well i think pagetops are dumb and am pushing to put temp bans on people whom continually foul up a topic with them.

Wouldn't each page then contain a fouling pagetop that would deserve deletion? Then would the next post not become a pagetop, requiring deletion? And then, would all posts not require deletion? And then, would the entire website require deletion? And then, what would Attitude do????

Necronomicon said:

erik said:

well i think pagetops are dumb and am pushing to put temp bans on people whom continually foul up a topic with them.

Wouldn't each page then contain a fouling pagetop that would deserve deletion? Then would the next post not become a pagetop, requiring deletion? And then, would all posts not require deletion? And then, would the entire website require deletion? And then, what would Attitude do????

damn you have figured it out!

the_finger.gif

You know, what really pisses me off is someone starts a thread like this one.....

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=245868

and I open the shit up and it's the same fucking people every time posting their mindless drivel all over the place. It doesn't matter if you think it's a stupid thread or not. Get a clue.

mattp said:

Dru-

I don't believe it shows any lack of respect for Dwayner to steadily post, for two or three years, that I think he should not be allowed to destroy all bolting topics and then to conclude that asking him to stop it is not working. I simply posed the question: is it perhaps time to start temporary suspending people who refuse to shut up when they are told to stop disrupting legitimate threads? Are you afraid that I might target you for such a suspension next? Is that what this thread is really about?

Back to your original premise: can you find a single example of where I have tried to keep somebody out of a discussion because I did not agree with their position on the core issue under discussion?

i think if dwayner continually posted, in the same manner he posts against bolting, arguments for bolting, you wouldn't hasve a problem with it. it seems that you are stating the problem is not with the views but the method, but the real problem is the reverse. unfortunately this is purely a unverifiable hypothesis because dwayner isnt going to change his spots like that. if you clone yourself, and dwayner, and dwayner-2 is brainwashed to think bolts are good, and we run the experiment for another 3 years, will that suffice to prove the point? rolleyes.gif

Dru said:

matt - do you think that as a result of discussion in a political/environmental thread that all of a sudden MtnGoat will advocate emissions controls, Trask will come out against gun ownership, or j_b will say that big business is what America needs more of?

I don't, and I don't think, however its debated, you are going tobe any more successful in changing pope or dwayner's opinion, or methods of expressing their opinion, about bolts.

So all I see in your supposedly "sensible" bolt debate is trolling - a type of spray. wave.gif

Fuckin a

jon said:

You know, what really pisses me off is someone starts a thread like this one.....

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=245868

and I open the shit up and it's the same fucking people every time posting their mindless drivel all over the place. It doesn't matter if you think it's a stupid thread or not. Get a clue.

Oh I am sooo sorry rolleyes.gif CC.com has changed my entire life. I must now bow to the words of the CC.com internet.

Of course I think it's garbage. Of course I sprayed on it. Of course I portrayed some of my true feelings in there too. Catturdeater has a unique way of posting subjects, reports, comments that inherently asks him to get turded on. Get a clue.. Hmm well Whatever.

I have always thought that I could make a lot of money if I built an automatically deploying flotation system for when people who are confined in a wheel chair drive into a pool. I have mixed feelings, though, because not only would it save lives, but it could be used by the forces of evil to keep someone from taking their own life.

Cpt.Caveman said:

jon said:

Oh I am sooo sorry rolleyes.gif CC.com has changed my entire life. I must now bow to the words of the CC.com internet.

Of course I think it's garbage. Of course I sprayed on it. Of course I portrayed some of my true feelings in there too. Catturdeater has a unique way of posting subjects, reports, comments that inherently asks him to get turded on. Get a clue.. Hmm well Whatever.

Ray is right. Catturd asks for it with his gumby questions. Jon, rough weekend, eh? rolleyes.gif

Dru said:

is it just me or is this argument going around in circles? cantfocus.gif

your so called legitimate thread is itself spray despite your trolling claims it isnt. it's an attempt to incite pope and dwayner.

No, my thread was not a deliberate attempt to inflame Dwayner and Pope, nor was it an attempt to incite spray. It was a deliberate attempt to discuss bolting issue, or one small sub-issue actually, in a sensible fashion. It would be great if Pope and Dwayner want to participate in that discussion and they'd be free to say that they think it is indeed a big problem and then to explain why. Indeed, I hoped that they would do so. If it incites Dwayner and Pope that I don't think they should be allowed to deliberately inflame people over an emotional issue, so be it.

Why are you so threatened by all of this? Are you afraid that your god-given right to spray all over the board 100 times a day may be curtailed?

The argument goes around in circles because you keep dancing the jig.

imo it boils down to 1) those who think that having fun has to take the form of a joke, or ridicule, and 2) those who think that what precedes is ok once in a while but who also enjoy having a discussion where everyone is welcome to express an opinion without having the fear or the embarrasment of partaking into some kind of meaningless exchange of one liners (which more often than not are insulting). not everyone should have to brave the sprayers or struggle to keep a thread on topic.

i am in the second camp. people discuss at length for different reasons, one of which is wanting to express a dissenting opinion or force oneself to increase one's knowledge (either through one's own thinking or from the thinking of others). plenty other reasons exist and are not necessarily 'bad', and this include wanting to shine by dissiminating info about one's accomplishments or that of others. but wanting to reduce any worthy discussion to the strict exchange of factual information is ludicrous. keeping spray in spray, or even in spray threads is one way to promote diversity of exchange and purpose ... which is what this site needs if it ultimately wants to encourage the participation of the community.

Dru said:

so matt, you are saying you started the thread specifically to prove that pope and dwayner are not mature??

No, I did not say that and you know I did not say or even imply that. My thread was not about "are Pope and Dwayner mature." However, I'd have to point out that you have created here a thread that is all about the question "Is Dru mature?"

well, your purported purpose was to have a mature discussion and you claim that Dwayner and pope are the ones who were being immature and evilly "inflaming" and so on your mature discussion, so they needed to be banned... i don't know how you can't read into that that you started the thread to bait Dwayner and pope and then jumped on them when you recieved the expected response

if you were mature wouldn't you be ingoring this thread yourself confused.gif