clean aid climbs bolted to create sport climbs

pope

rbw1966 said:

Dwayner said:

MattP says:

"Even on a public sidewalk, the first ammendment does not allow someone to stand on a street corner and deliberately insult passers-by."

What constitution from what country are you reading, pal????

Just so we're clear, First Amendment rights do not extend to a private forum--and as much as you may think this is a public forum, its not. Its privately owned, privately maintained and privately funded. Therefore, the owners of this forum are welcome to censor whatever speach they desire--regardless of your perceived freedoms. An analogy might be if you walk into WalMart and start spewing epithets. They'll jack yer ass out of there just like the moderators here can do.

Well put thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pope-

Do you want a point-by-point rebuttal?

(1) I said I believed Darryl when he, who I think probably knows more about the climbs in question than you do, said that some of them could not properly be described as "clean A2 lines." Are you quibbling whether I am incorrect, and only two of your examples are mistaken rather than three or four? You first said "countless aid climbs," then you listed six of them, that list was pared down to two, three or maybe four, and you then stated that you had presented "a list" that Darryl refused to address. He had in fact directly commented on the routes with specific reference to your question; he just hadn't answered the way you wanted him to and, yes, you are right that he hadn't fully answered your question. Could it be that he does not want to offend someone? Might this be acceptable?

(2) I already explained what was offensive and annoying about your post.

(3) Like I said, Darryl had already responded to your post (see above). To suggest that he completely failed to respond to your question is false, and I don't think it is fair to demand that he accommodate you and answer your specific questions in the manner in which you think an answer is deserved. This is not some abstract political debate where we are all spewing about matters remote from our every day lives or about which our opinions really carry very little weight. If Darryl doesn't want to be cornered into saying that this or that particular bolt should be yanked, what is wrong with that?

I have no idea what happened in the famous hammer incident, or in the follow-up meeting at the gym a week later. Get over it. I've said the same thing to Darryl.

I didn't participate in your discussion with the DDD guy, so I obviously can't say one way or another what was said there. What I said was that I believe you mischaracterized what they said. I have spoken to both of them about the matter (not about your specific conversation), and I believe you when you report that they said one of the reasons that they did it was so that the climb could be enjoyed by more people. I believe you when you report that they said that more traffic would help it stay cleaner. I don't believe that anything they said could be extrapolated to suggest that one should bolt Outer Space to increase the traffic there without twisting their words to the point of absurdity.

Sorry to be a spoil sport. I have to go back to work now and I may not reply to your point-by-point response.

mattp said:

Pope-

Do you want a point-by-point rebuttal?

(1) I said I believed Darryl when he, who I think probably knows more about the climbs in question than you do, said that some of them could not properly be described as "clean A2 lines." Are you quibbling whether I am incorrect, and only two of your examples are mistaken rather than three or four? You first said "countless aid climbs," then you listed six of them, that list was pared down to two, three or maybe four, and you then stated that you had presented "a list" that Darryl refused to address. He had in fact directly commented on the routes with specific reference to your question; he just hadn't answered the way you wanted him to and, yes, you are right that he hadn't fully answered your question. Could it be that he does not want to offend someone? Might this be acceptable?

(2) I already explained what was offensive and annoying about your post.

(3) Like I said, Darryl had already responded to your post (see above). To suggest that he completely failed to respond to your question is false, and I don't think it is fair to demand that he accommodate you and answer your specific questions in the manner in which you think an answer is deserved. This is not some abstract political debate where we are all spewing about matters remote from our every day lives or about which our opinions really carry very little weight. If Darryl doesn't want to be cornered into saying that this or that particular bolt should be yanked, what is wrong with that?

I have no idea what happened in the famous hammer incident, or in the follow-up meeting at the gym a week later. Get over it. I've said the same thing to Darryl.

I didn't participate in your discussion with the DDD guy, so I obviously can't say one way or another what was said there. What I said was that I believe you mischaracterized what they said. I have spoken to both of them about the matter (not about your specific conversation), and I believe you when you report that they said one of the reasons that they did it was so that the climb could be enjoyed by more people. I believe you when you report that they said that more traffic would help it stay cleaner. I don't believe that anything they said could be extrapolated to suggest that one should bolt Outer Space to increase the traffic there without twisting their words to the point of absurdity.

Sorry to be a spoil sport. I have to go back to work now and I may not reply to your point-by-point response.

What would be truly refreshing is to see you stop commenting on things you don't understand.

MysticNacho said:

I thought both Pope's and Mattp's arguments were well thought out, reasonable, and logical. But who's asking Nacho?

Careful there. Diversity of opinion is not a goal of the board of control on this site. You're asking to get yourself in trouble with the thought police. evils3d.gif

Poor Pope. For two years, he's been deliberately posting the most provacative insults he thinks he can get away with, and he proudly explains that his objective was to "stir up the shit" but its not his fault that it stinks. He can't even stop the insults for a minute, even after he's told "try making your very same arguments without calling the other guy a rock rapist or a pussy; please do not come on this board to deliberately stir up hostility." He had one post deleted. Those thought police. Sheesh.

mattp said:

Poor Pope. For two years, he's been deliberately posting the most provacative insults he thinks he can get away with, and he proudly explains that his objective was to "stir up the shit" but its not his fault that it stinks. He can't even stop the insults for a minute, even after he's told "try making your very same arguments without calling the other guy a rock rapist or a pussy; please do not come on this board to deliberately stir up hostility." He had one post deleted. Those thought police. Sheesh.

yelrotflmao.gifthumbs_up.gif

I've read Pope's stupid posts for two years now and every goddamn one is on the same subject. BOLTS Who gives a shit? Pope must be one ignorant sumbitch if that's all he has on his little pea brain. Now he hasn't done me any dirt personally, so he'll probably be a bit peeved I'm bagging on him, but I don't care. Pope, you're dumb, talk about something else for a change.

trask said:

I've read Pope's stupid posts for two years now and every goddamn one is on the same subject. BOLTS Who gives a shit? Pope must be one ignorant sumbitch if that's all he has on his little pea brain. Now he hasn't done me any dirt personally, so he'll probably be a bit peeved I'm bagging on him, but I don't care. Pope, you're dumb, talk about something else for a change.

Trask, you don't even climb. Tell me what you know about climbing. You must write one full page on anything even remotely related to mountaineering.....and you mustn't double space.

pope said:

trask said:

Trask, you don't even climb. Tell me what you know about climbing. You must write one full page on anything even remotely related to mountaineering.....and you mustn't double space.

I dont know about double spacing but you might end up being amazed what such a critter knows about climbing. yelrotflmao.gif

pope said:

here is another example of why i rarely read the shit that you and mattp write: you fuckers write like you got a stick up yer ass. like wonderbread: no flavor and a doughy center.

lummox said:

pope said:

here is another example of why i rarely read the shit that you and mattp write: you fuckers write like you got a stick up yer ass. like wonderbread: no flavor and a doughy center.

Don't compare me with that man!

Cpt.Caveman said:

The only thing my dog knows is where the food is.

Let's give trask a day or 2 to respond and amaze us all. What a great idea. My guess is he'll decline and remark with some obscene comment hahaha.gif

Oh yeah. He knows from 4-letter words and locker-room jokes. smile.gif

Cpt.Caveman said:

Let's give trask a day or 2 to respond and amaze us all. What a great idea. My guess is he'll decline and remark with some obscene comment hahaha.gif

Here's my answer to whether I climb, hike, ski, copulate, dance, drink, gamble, work, whatever. None of your goddamn business. There, happy now?

trask said:

Cpt.Caveman said:

Here's my answer to whether I climb, hike, ski, copulate, dance, drink, gamble, work, whatever. None of your goddamn business. There, happy now?

Listen here green alien from mars I dont give fuck what you do. As long as I get to read what you have to say now and then you sick bitch bigdrink.gifthe_finger.gif