heard of any of these?

layton

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

michael_layton said:

I think I'm gonna go with a cheaper, less durable boot that fits and by the time it wears out, the new generation of ice boots will have come into the shops and the crappy wierd ones will have died out by then. It's a bad idea to buy a product in it's first season of production.

Try getting the Nepal Top Regular (if they fit) you still can find them on Ebay or some stores closeouts

In my own experience a wonderful boots (and quite lighter then the Nepal top extreme) one piece leather with minimal seams construction this boots rockband.gif and size 44 goes at 5lb 8oz with better foot bed in (Dr Scholl’s Extra Support Insoles)

Speaking of Salomon,

I had the Pro Ice the boots fit great and were good climbers…BUT I had to return them THREE times to REI due to eyelets that kept popping out after the 3rd time I just replaced it with Trango S extreme…so far no complaints

If the Salomon will workout this bug of the boots thouse boots will rockband.gif

(Why don’t they use the regular eyelets on the top of the boots its beyond me…anyway this is the area that see the least amount of abuse)

Geek_em8.gif

PHILONIUS said:

OK, here's another boot to check out. http://montrail.com/goods/alpine.cfm?gender=male

Montrail's coming out with a super-light, warm ice boot that converts from flexible to rigid with the help of an integrated crampon. Clever idea! I hear they should be available sometime this fall. I'm definately gonna check these out before I buy something.

What about when you don't want a crampon on?

on boots, watch out for the new style eyelets seen on some of the scarpas, we had two pair of brand new scarpas come back to the shop with busted eyelets and virtually no other wear. they were the blue ones, not the freneys.

if you are boot shopping at the boot wall, look at that hardware on those boots and avoid it on any other boots you see, they are weak weak weak not like the old school stainless D

my 19 year old mountain boots still have good eyelets, and that beeswax talk about it "rotting boots" is just horse crap pushed by the nixwax company...

i know some of you have different ideas, but I've used snoseal on these since day one , and my 19 year old, seriously thrashed, thrice resoled, twice relined in heel boots are still in good shape

avoid the scarpa new eylets, and use plenty of snoseal or biwell or some serious shadizzle you can get from montana that's even got propolis in there, the stuff behives are made from, that is some super waterproof tough shit!

get it at the boot shop on 45th between 5 and 99 next to the bike shop and erotic bakery. get trask a cake if you're stopping by. HCL.gif

I have a pair of Scarpas with the lock-down eyelets. They do seem sketchy and I don't thrash them. Hope they hold up; three seasons so far. I tried that Nikwax shit a couple times and my boots leaked like a sieve. Back to Snoseal now and nary a drop...good shit like Beck said. Blackberry pie ala mode thanks. wave.gif

michael_layton said:

The reason I detest the Trango series from La Sportiva is because they only last about one season, if that! I have heard countless climbing partners bitch about their trango "s" or "ice" or "whatever" blow out after just a few uses, myself included... In fact, the WILL NOT WARRENTY BOOTS ANYMORE (cuz they know they suck). thumbs_down.gif

WTF? I just took my new Trango S out for the first time this past weekend and they've already got some blown-out stitching at the heel. Is it true that there's no hope for warranty repair (I got them at PMS)? I've hiked barely ten miles in them! madgo_ron.gif

• 3 weeks later...

hello mike,

been a while - how are things going? ive tried on/used some of these boots...

cumbre - f'n huge boot - dont like 'em.

vasque boots - i dig 'em. theyre kinda big and bulky as well, but for technical stuff in cold weather theyd be the bomb. dont know about step in crampons with them - apparently pneumatics work well with this one...

red kayland boot - depends on your foot. my foot is kinda narrow and they didnt fit me at all. but i like the design and think it would be a great boot...if you dont have narrow feet.

as far as the availability of the vasque boot, im out of the loop. if theyre still hard to come by, get my email from andy or coley and ill try to put you in touch with someone who will know whats going on with them (you know kelly, right? - i think he has been "working" with vasque and is the owner of the only pair ive ever seen and tried on...)

cheers, todd

Hey folks I haven't heard from (esp Todd). Yeah Kelly and Decapio won't shut up about the Vasques, and I tend to believe them. Lots of gizmo boots. The other contender is the Kayland ice boot. I have wide feet and both Vasque and Kayland fit wide it seems. I wish I was in Vancouver so I could try the Kayland on.

Someone sponser my ass.

..but no one can buy the vasque boots.... their super duper new boots have had so many production problems, these have been pushed back and pushed back, Nov1 is the new 'expected ship' date, but manufacturers have a way of being incorrect about these. I just asked a major buyer yesterday about these, and that's the lowdown

vasques= UNAVAILABLE

I wouldn't even delude yourself that the vasques are the way to go because you can't even buy them right now and may not be able to until spring 2004

mike,

yeah, its been a while - get my email from someone and drop me a line.

i just finally got enough time to do something other than climb and work and i chose, very productively, to waste it on this web site. i blame work and sunny colorado fall climbing weather on the disappearing act.