cracked

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Attitude said:

rbw1966 said:

Shameless plug: a friend custom-makes bivvy sacks out of Epic and its super light. Its not bombproof but it may be difficult to find a sack that is waterproof/breathable AND both light and durable.

How much?

Depends on what you want--its custom-made to your specs. Anywhere form 100-150 or so.

funny about the zipper!

event fabric is a more breathable alternative to goretex, it eliminates the urethane element in ptfe or some thing like that, makes it so.

also, some less expensive options are a epic top/siltarp bottom untralite bivy sack from equinox designs or somesuch, packs twice as small as bibler winter bivy

also, the great $20 bivy sack from adventure medical kits, weight 1/2 pound. breathable only by vents, but a damn fine, cheap bivy- it would be perfect for a wanderlust trip in europe for 3 weeks and only $20.

other than that, the OR basic bivy, and the marmot precip bivies, are the lightest non event, WB bivies out there, at about 16 ounces each.

but the bibler standard is much more climber friendly (get the big wall with tie in loop if you're on the rope alot) and roomy in the interior at about 8 ounces more than these-

but I'm very fond of my 12 ounce Svarsky guides sil tarp that is a five foot tall bivy for 3 with vents- 12 ounces, three people, either on a ledge, or in the snow, and a 5x9 tarp for pitching as a canopy-

the Svarsky is the most versatile bivy "sack" i've found, but not made the same way most bivies are laid out. 12 ounces!

event is also more breathable than goretex, and has been proven to be so by a gear testing buddy of mine out there.

oh, the svarsky. let's see, there are also versions of it by ortovox, hilleberg (kindof) and integral designs. search them out and see the light-

but again, it's not the kind of bivy most of you guys are looking for!

It's eVent not event!

Its Epic by Nextec not epic!

Why have a bivy sack in the first place? Just go home if it rains. You can save as much as 3 pounds by not bringing one. Just buy a sleeping bag with Epic by Nextec on the outside, Pertex Quantum on the inside and a YKK Uratek zipper. Oh wait, no one make a bag with a windproof zipper yet. cry.gif

Maybe one day.

4 New 30 degree bags

It is about time ain't it?

New jacket too.

Thanks for all the recommendations rolleyes.gif. I think I'll try Beck's space blanket, sounds like it's perfect for winter bivies. rolleyes.gif Actually, an EPIC bivy with a silnylon bottoms sounds perfect! The top isn't water proof and the bottom is so slick you can use it as a sled! Thanks, Beck, I owe you! rolleyes.gif

I've been very happy with my MEC basic bivy. It weighs 16oz but is fully waterproof/breathable. It's made out of the waterproof wicking nexus fabric that the bibler and integral designs single wall tents are made of. It just lacks zippers and mesh to save weight. I trust it enough to use it in actual raining conditions, which I have, and it performed flawlessly. It's also quite cheap for what it is: $100.