Learn to climb slab with experienced instructors

scot'teryx

Alpinfox said:

scot'teryx said:

B_SLABS9.JPG

Ursa,

I think a lot of people here who are laughing at these pictures have taught total newbies how to climb. I really enjoy taking newbies out into the mountains and seeing them learn and enjoy climbing. I think its great that the chubby guy is out in the woods and not sitting on the couch, but the activities shown in these pictures are pretty silly. To me they demonstrate that the Mountaineers (and similar groups) are often more about subjecting people to meaningless, humiliatingly simple rites-of-passage rather than teaching climbing skills the way a friend would for example.

Newbies thumbs_up.gif

Climbing clubs thumbs_down.gif

Uhm y'all are forgetting that this these aren't pictures from a 'climbing' course; this is a scrambling course, which I guess is like hiking to most of you. The climbing course covers more advanced skills like free soloing trails and aiding trails. yelrotflmao.gif

I am getting a lot of laughs from the picture though.

(and I hate rappelling too)

he, he. snaf.gif

Edited by Dustin_B

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

greenfork said:

B_SLABS9.JPG

you can see where the rock has been scraped smooth on this slab problem, from over-use. that makes it harder. but it's ok, looks like they have a small crash pad.

i cant get over the spotting technique of that brillo pad. no worries brah! i totally gotcha! yellaf.gif

catbirdseat said:

Sphinx, you are such a sporto. Alpine climbers don't get three nice big bolts from which to rappel. They have to trust some rock or manky tree they can't possibly know is 100% safe, unless it is on a very popular route (where it's still not 100% safe). The sane and the rational have reason to be concerned. Downclimbing is often the preferred alternative.

By the way, the "rappel" in the photo is just an arm rappel or a hand line used only for low angle descents in mossy or wet gullies. The scramblers don't call themselves climbers and never do vertical rappels.

And you'd know being such an experiences alpinist. rolleyes.gif If they aren't rappelling, then why is the one dude giving a fireman's belay?

You sound like a Mounties textbook. Besides, Minx said explicitly that she was worried on the Monkey Face rappel. I know there are lots of dead trees and sketch rock horns that you have to rappel off of on that route, but still. rolleyes.gif

Scrambling doesn't involve ropework. Anyone who needs a rope to get down a 20 degree forest floor is a gumby with low IQ, no two ways about it. moon.gif

Sphinx said:

catbirdseat said:

Sphinx, you are such a sporto. Alpine climbers don't get three nice big bolts from which to rappel. They have to trust some rock or manky tree they can't possibly know is 100% safe, unless it is on a very popular route (where it's still not 100% safe). The sane and the rational have reason to be concerned. Downclimbing is often the preferred alternative.

By the way, the "rappel" in the photo is just an arm rappel or a hand line used only for low angle descents in mossy or wet gullies. The scramblers don't call themselves climbers and never do vertical rappels.

And you'd know being such an experiences alpinist. rolleyes.gif If they aren't rappelling, then why is the one dude giving a fireman's belay?

You sound like a Mounties textbook. Besides, Minx said explicitly that she was worried on the Monkey Face rappel. I know there are lots of dead trees and sketch rock horns that you have to rappel off of on that route, but still. rolleyes.gif

Scrambling doesn't involve ropework. Anyone who needs a rope to get down a 20 degree forest floor is a gumby with low IQ, no two ways about it. moon.gif

dru dat. shoulda stuck to bingo. boxing_smiley.gif

Seriously, though, this shit is fucking pathetic.

All of you apologists, with your "Come on guys, it's OK. Everyone has to start out somewhere" attitudes are closet mounties, with your shorts on over your polypro.

These people are losers, and the instructors pretending to pass on their "knowledge" are even worse.

Necronomicon said:

Seriously, though, this shit is fucking pathetic.

All of you apologists, with your "Come on guys, it's OK. Everyone has to start out somewhere" attitudes are closet mounties, with your shorts on over your polypro.

These people are losers, and the instructors pretending to pass on their "knowledge" are even worse.

yeah the 'instructors' prolly graduated the weekend before from the same class! yellaf.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

sometimes I wear gaiters when I don't need them because the stupid clip is so much of a hassle to get on and off my laces I just leave them on my boots. They've since changed the clip design, but these still work fine (minus the clip issue), so I haven't gotten new ones.

MOUNTIE! DIRTY MOUNTIE!!!

I've seen you and your staggering ilk, crushed under bizzarely huge packs, exhausted, soaked to the bone from sweating all day under your Penta-ply goretex, and, most offensively, with your gaiters tangled uselessly around your ankles, sideways, tripping over your broken home-made stirrups, covered in pine needles.

YOU SUCK!!

I_2SUNDA.JPG

Here's Ursula_Needledick with the rest of his apologist companions, five petite Napoleans, and thirty losers so pathetic that Gumby would slash his own green wrists and spill out his own green blood if he knew how his good name was being maligned, enjoying a quiet day of solitude at a low angled heap of mung unworthy of remaining a natural area. Can you spot them all?

Necronomicon said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

sometimes I wear gaiters when I don't need them because the stupid clip is so much of a hassle to get on and off my laces I just leave them on my boots. They've since changed the clip design, but these still work fine (minus the clip issue), so I haven't gotten new ones.

MOUNTIE! DIRTY MOUNTIE!!!

I've seen you and your staggering ilk, crushed under bizzarely huge packs, exhausted, soaked to the bone from sweating all day under your Penta-ply goretex, and, most offensively, with your gaiters tangled uselessly around your ankles, sideways, tripping over your broken home-made stirrups, covered in pine needles.

YOU SUCK!!

136resarete3-med.jpg