bigwalling

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sphinx said:

Dru said:

and if you swingh them you will find that the sweet spot for the grivel is in the pick where it should be, while for the rage it's somewhere half way up the shaft, not in the head at all confused.gif

Dru, what are you smoking? The Rage feels LIGHTER than the Alp Wing.

Heh, heh, heh.

You two are saying the same thing. If the sweet spot for the Rage is further down the shaft, then it will feel lighter to swing. R*(dot)Theta from high school physics. wave.gif

You two really need to get a room. smileysex5.gif

Attitude said:

Sphinx said:

Dru said:

and if you swingh them you will find that the sweet spot for the grivel is in the pick where it should be, while for the rage it's somewhere half way up the shaft, not in the head at all confused.gif

Heh, heh, heh.

You two are saying the same thing. If the sweet spot for the Rage is further down the shaft, then it will feel lighter to swing. R*(dot)Theta from high school physics. wave.gif

attitude what the hell i heard you couldnt even find the g spot let alone the sweet spot rolleyes.gif

Dru said:

Attitude said:

Sphinx said:

Dru said:

Heh, heh, heh.

attitude what the hell i heard you couldnt even find the g spot let alone the sweet spot rolleyes.gif

Sweet spot, head, shaft, swinging, wings, rage, smoking....

Sounds like words of love. yellaf.gif

Not sure if anyone mentioned the new Charlet Moser Aztar? Another real nice looking light tool. Don't know if that is what bigwalling is looking for, but think the lightweight models make good sense for both alpine and some waterfall too.

With the steep pick droop of modern ice tools, placing them deep in the ice is not always the best plan. Shallow placements can also be secure, and have the advantage of easier removal. Lighter tools are generally more presice and easier to swing on steep ice. Agree or disagree? Weights can always be added for conditions or taste, in fact Grivel tools have heavier hammer heads, as well as a weight/dampner that can be added. Talk about slick. hahaha.gif

When I get scared, I plant em as deep as possible. Screw removing them.

GearHead, you mean the Axar? Or some other, new tool? The Axar is another fine tool. But why go with the sub-standard pick attachments and aluminum head when you could buy BD? It's essentially the same tool, except for the differences noted.

I find it interesting to note that when Craig Luebben tested tools as used in an anchor setup, the BD tools' shafts broke before the pick or head gave away. The same test on Pulsars elongated the AL head and finally the bolts gave way. Go with BD.

Sphinx said:

I find it interesting to note that when Craig Luebben tested tools as used in an anchor setup, the BD tools' shafts broke before the pick or head gave away. The same test on Pulsars elongated the AL head and finally the bolts gave way. Go with BD.

more trolling bs.... the pulsars tested were warranty recalls....

you shouldnt use your tools as an anchor anyways! not CEN approved!! wave.gif

"GearHead, you mean the Axar? Or some other, new tool? The Axar is another fine tool. But why go with the sub-standard pick attachments and aluminum head when you could buy BD? It's essentially the same tool, except for the differences noted."

Both Axar and Pulsar are old tools, before Rage I believe. A lot of folks did great things with Pulsars, I think they were pretty popular in their day. Choose your poison. Many good choices, not only bd. Hopefully some folks will appreciate the gearheads suggestions.

Yeah buddy! if you're experiencing forces strong enough to shear the bolts holding the head on, you've got some big problems!

I test drove the Alp wings and Cobra's last winter and they are pretty similar feeling, although I thought the Cobra performed better, but, the Grivels are more bang for your buck and climb ice just fine (way better than my old prophets). I don't really think you can go wrong with the ice tools on the market today, there are so many good ones, just swing a few and see what you like and what feels right.

Dru said:

Sphinx said:

more trolling bs.... the pulsars tested were warranty recalls....

you shouldnt use your tools as an anchor anyways! not CEN approved!! wave.gif

More trolling. If you ever read Luebben's book you'd know that it was the Prophets that were recalled! moon.gif

Oh, hell, all modern tools are good tools, just buy what you like and what gives you most bang for your buck. Rage, Shrike, Wing, Axar, whatever.

But BD still rocks.

Well, this topics been pretty well flogged, even got into the required nasty personal attacks for a while, good!

Re axe weight: according to published data, the Rage (25.6 oz) and the Alp WIng (25.1 oz) are too close to notice any difference. It's all a matter of how they feel in your hand, balance and swing. And as previously mentioned, all modern high end tools are really excellent. Go swing a few, compare prices, and try not to worry about it any more. It's who's swinging 'em that actually matters. Look at some of the hard routes that were put up with gear that you couldn't give away today.

erik said:

Sphinx said:

PHILONIUS said:

Well, this topics been pretty well flogged, even got into the required nasty personal attacks for a while, good!

cool.gifFlame wars are cool. wave.gif

NO THEY ARE NOT.

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT TURD BURGLER!

Shove it, ass pirate. the_finger.gifyellowsleep.gif

PHILONIUS said:

Re axe weight: according to published data, the Rage (25.6 oz) and the Alp WIng (25.1 oz) are too close to notice any difference.

the published weights are about as reliable as a politician's promises. wave.gif

Sphinx said:the BD tools' shafts broke before the pick or head gave away. The same test on Pulsars elongated the AL head and finally the bolts gave way. Go with BD.

I don't see what this proves. That's like saying the bolt in my crampon will shear before a tine breaks off if I applied that much force. Nevermind that my lower leg would be severed first. Generally I avoid factor-2'ing off my ice tools rolleyes.gif

iain said:

Sphinx said:the BD tools' shafts broke before the pick or head gave away. The same test on Pulsars elongated the AL head and finally the bolts gave way. Go with BD.

I don't see what this proves. That's like saying the bolt in my crampon will shear before a tine breaks off if I applied that much force. Nevermind that my lower leg would be severed first. Generally I avoid factor-2'ing off my ice tools rolleyes.gif

It gives you an idea of the relative durability. Tool head recieve a shitload of abuse, and it's obvious that the BD steel heads are stronger than the CM AL heads. rolleyes.gif

Sphinx said:

It gives you an idea of the relative durability. Tool head recieve a shitload of abuse, and it's obvious that the BD steel heads are stronger than the CM AL heads. rolleyes.gif

If the test was a single run until failure it doesn't give you any idea about durability. What are you talking about.