Grivel Alp Wing

bigwalling

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the Rages start to feel heavy after a day of swinging, because they're so weighty at the head. And I've taken them along on glacier, but never really had to plunge them. I think the pinky platform would make it difficult. You might compare the size of the platform on the Alp Wing to the one on the Rage. Has anyone filed the pinky thing on the Rages? I keep thinking I might get around to doing that.

I've got a pair of the Light Wings. About the same tool, minus the rubber grip and steel spike. (I notice they've added a light steel spike this year.) I really like mine, great for alpine ice; light and nice to swing. 'Haven't had a chance to plant them in water ice yet, but a friend of mine has used them a bunch and thinks they're great. thumbs_up.gif

Mer said:

I find the Rages start to feel heavy after a day of swinging, because they're so weighty at the head. And I've taken them along on glacier, but never really had to plunge them. I think the pinky platform would make it difficult. You might compare the size of the platform on the Alp Wing to the one on the Rage. Has anyone filed the pinky thing on the Rages? I keep thinking I might get around to doing that.

yep try to bang them in hard blue/black ice and then tell me how much u hate the heavy head...light tool doesn’t pack that kind of punch you will need 3 swings to get it right...now which is more tiring

Dru said:

id rather use quark than rage in the alpine. lighter and all around better. i get pumped with my puny arms even trying to swing the rage. those things way too heavy. at least they dont have the gay cobra t-grip. boxing_smiley.gif

If you weren't a skinny bastard maybe you could actually swing, instead of hook. the_finger.gif

Rage thumbs_up.gif

Dru thumbs_down.gif

Quark balance all fucked up, POS aluminum head, fucked up grip, too. And changing the pick is a nightmare. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

Have to agree with you

Cobra SUX THE BIG HC HCL.gif the worst tool BD made but hey after couple of reviews on climbing and R&I you can get the climbers herd to do whatever you like

As it for Alpine Rage can hammer pitons better can plunges allot better have a longer lasting pick easier to replace the pick incase of it braking and penetrate HARD ice ALLOT easier

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

EricS said:

FYI:

http://www.bdel.com/about/news/rage_recall.html

Maybe you should ask Twight what he thinks about non-Grivel Tools laugh.gif

Twight climbed on BD tools for quite a while. He seemed to really like his CF Black Prophets.

The cobra is a sweet tool, esp for large hands, like mine. BUT it's too expensive for me. If I had the money, I'd buy em. But I like my Rages.

And, the Rage recall is OLD yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif news. Plus, there were a limited number of tools recalled, it's not like the O2 disaster. yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif

The Prophets seem to have a sort of Luv Hate relationship thang. People either tend to one or the other, I've found depending on hand size. I never really liked the way they fit in my hand, but others LOVE it, as they fit like a "glove"!! Picks are great, head and shaft I'm not too crazy about. But that's my pointless HO

fruit.gif

NYC007 said:

if you want to do alpine or have small hands dont get the rages. I personal hate them . I have the alp wings and love them they are light and the wieght is in all the right spots unlike the heavy rages.. RAGES SUCK

If you weigh the Rage you will notice they are among the LIGHTER tools on the market.

And, if you measure the circumference, you will notice that they have among the SMALLEST grips on the market.

And if you have ever swung either of these tools you will know that Grivel sucks!

Sphinx said:

NYC007 said:

if you want to do alpine or have small hands dont get the rages. I personal hate them . I have the alp wings and love them they are light and the wieght is in all the right spots unlike the heavy rages.. RAGES SUCK

If you weigh the Rage you will notice they are among the LIGHTER tools on the market.

And, if you measure the circumference, you will notice that they have among the SMALLEST grips on the market.

And if you have ever swung either of these tools you will know that Grivel sucks!

if you actually HOLD A RAGE AND A QUARK or A RAGE AND AN ALP WING in your hand you will see the Rage weighs about 200 grams more than its advertised weight and feels like a chunk of lead.

and instead of an ergonomic grip they have a flat, non ergonomic pinky rest. hmmmm.

and if you swingh them you will find that the sweet spot for the grivel and the charlet is in the pick where it should be, while for the rage it's somewhere half way up the shaft, not in the head at all confused.gifthumbs_down.gif

rages SUCK thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Dru said:

Sphinx said:

NYC007 said:

if you actually HOLD A RAGE AND A QUARK or A RAGE AND AN ALP WING in your hand you will see the Rage weighs about 200 grams more than its advertised weight and feels like a chunk of lead.

and instead of an ergonomic grip they have a flat, non ergonomic pinky rest. hmmmm.

and if you swingh them you will find that the sweet spot for the grivel and the charlet is in the pick where it should be, while for the rage it's somewhere half way up the shaft, not in the head at all confused.gifthumbs_down.gif

rages SUCK thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Dru, what are you smoking? The Rage feels LIGHTER than the Alp Wing. And the shape of the shaft and the pinky fuckthing give more control to your swing. It is quite a bit better balanced than the Grivel, and just as well balanced as the Quark. Quark is ungainly due to the massive clearance of the design. And the Quark pinky fuckthing is so huge that shaft-plunging is impossible. And CM still makes tools with lame aluminum heads and tiny screws. BD ROCKS!

Sphinx said:

Dru said:

Sphinx said:

NYC007 said:

Dru, what are you smoking? The Rage feels LIGHTER than the Alp Wing. And the shape of the shaft and the pinky fuckthing give more control to your swing. It is quite a bit better balanced than the Grivel, and just as well balanced as the Quark. Quark is ungainly due to the massive clearance of the design. And the Quark pinky fuckthing is so huge that shaft-plunging is impossible. And CM still makes tools with lame aluminum heads and tiny screws. BD ROCKS!

i believe you must be trying to troll me now cause everything you hasve posted is wrong, wrong, wrong

im not gonna play by your sick game anymore the_finger.gif