WEAPONS OF CHOICE

allthumbs

300,000 M-14s destined for trash pile-

Petition calls on Congress instead to sell guns to help pay for Iraq war

Posted: June 15, 2003

1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

A petition drive is underway to convince lawmakers to "civilianize" hundreds of thousands of M-14 military battle rifles so they can be legally sold by the government to the general public as a way to pay for the Iraq war.

According to the online petition, "there is a strong demand for an M-14 DCM [Director of Civilian Marksmanship] program, which will curb government waste by providing up to $300-600 million [for] deficit reduction."

m14.jpg

"With uncertainty of the price tag of the current war, this will help pay for freedoms we enjoy in this country," says the petition. "With the looming war deficit, our government should not throw away hundreds of millions of dollars by destroying M-14 rifles – some of which are brand new."

The petition, which is being spearheaded by Robert A. Yoder, says as many as 300,000 rifles could wind up in the scrap heap without the government getting any return on its investment. The DCM program to save the M-14s could work like a similar program involving another venerable military workhorse, the M-1 (Garand) and M-1 carbine series of military rifles. The DCM sold those through the Civilian Marksmanship Program, a course that promotes firearms safety training and rifle practice for all qualified U.S. citizens with special emphasis on youth.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program also offers for sale AR-15-type match rifles, M1917 Enfields, M1903 bolt-action rifles (a former U.S. military weapon) and .22-caliber target rifles at subsidized rates. "The U.S. Rifle, 7.62 mm, M-14 was the first rifle the U. S. fielded that improved upon the highly regarded U. S. Rifle, Caliber.30, M1 (Garand) and attempted to give U. S. Forces a NATO-standardized weapon," says the online petition. "The M-14 came into active service around 1957 and remained the standard infantry weapon until the official adoption of the M-16 rifle in the late 1960s.

"Like its predecessor, the M-14 is now relegated to ship's arms rooms, ROTC detachments, storage bins in government arsenals and, of late, the demilitarized scrap pile," says the petition.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too big & heavy. The 7.62x54mm (aka .308) cartridge belongs in a bolt action hunting or med range sniper rifle IMHO. The Ruger mini14 is still the best civilian semi-auto.

Nontheless, I'd buy one of these surplus rifles just to help finance the war on terrorism. Maybe use my tax reduction rebate check that presently remains uncashed in a desk drawer! evils3d.gif

Fairweather said:

Too big & heavy. The 7.62x54mm (aka .308) cartridge belongs in a bolt action hunting or med range sniper rifle IMHO. The Ruger mini14 is still the best civilian semi-auto.

Nontheless, I'd buy one of these surplus rifles just to help finance the war on terrorism. Maybe use my tax ruduction rebate check that presently remains uncashed in a desk drawer! evils3d.gif

sumbitch hellno3d.gifyellaf.gif

Fairweather said:

Nontheless, I'd buy one of these surplus rifles just to help finance the war on terrorism. Maybe use my tax ruduction rebate check that presently remains uncashed in a desk drawer! evils3d.gif

Ahhhhhh....the .308. Let's compromise. Carry a bolt-action, long barrel, high-power scope mounted .308 for snipery stuff, and a lighter-powered assault rife for when you need fast action. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Fairweather said:

The M14 carbine is (or at least was at the time I was in) used as a sniper rifle in the Army. For home protection I agree that the M14 is way too big and bulky. Pump action 12 gauge shotgun with a pistol grip is where its at.

iain said:

one can only imagine the upcoming sea of mullets to be witnessed when Def Leppard takes the stage at the Clark County Ampitheatre later this year. thumbs_up.gif

I intend to take a bag of sugar and throw it at the stage when the song comes up.

ha ha ha verry funny tongue.gif

Dru said:wasnt there a no-hit wonder metal band called weapon of choice?

jon said:

There was that Fatboy Slim song and in the video they had Christopher Walken dancing around.

if anyone can explain the logical leap between these two posts i'd love to read it.

my theories so far:

1) jon is on crack

2) something about music, so like dru mentions a band he thought was silly, and in that same sort of vane jon mentions a video he thought was silly or something.

it's not a big thing i guess, just when you see something that's out of place and can't figure out why...

edit: i've gone back and re-read the original posts. maybe the fat boy slim song is named "weapon of choice". i've seen that video but don't remember the name of the song so it never occured to me.

Edited by lI1|1!

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

iain said:

one can only imagine the upcoming sea of mullets to be witnessed when Def Leppard takes the stage at the Clark County Ampitheatre later this year. thumbs_up.gif

I intend to take a bag of sugar and throw it at the stage when the song comes up.

ha ha ha verry funny tongue.gif

hey muffy i think you look great in a mullet ok!