Cool toys at the '03 Summer Market.

freeclimb9

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beck said:

...interesting, mary lou knows i don't attend the market, yet she PMed me for contact info about the MIOX pen for an article she's doing...

nice two face gurl!

Really? I recall YOU PMing me about the show and since you seemed so knowledgeable on the new water thingy, I thought you might be able to direct me into some good sources for water data. I mean you must know something about it, being so knowledgeable and all that. Me, I'm just doing research because I know nothing on the subject. Alas, you tried to direct me right back to one of the manufacturers...perhaps not the best place to get independant research on waterborne pathogens. rolleyes.gif

As for you, Kurt, next time your truck is not working, I'd consider taking Metro or driving the chip truck around town. wave.gif

marylou, you are a GEM of integrity on this site-

but make sure to actually test the things you are reviewing?? because if you haven't found out the first need purifier ( the best mech filter IMO) clogs faster than any of the others (because of the small pore size)

and that the MIOX pen brews up about what MICROPUR actually is, and very similar to aquamira,

I really don't understand why they let you review things!!!

yelrotflmao.gif but I'll bet a lot of hikers listen to you.

I have a friend who is making bivvy sacks out of Epic. He made me one that is modeled after the Bibler bipod bivy--sort of a one-man tent that weighs in at a scant 1 lb 7 ozs including the pole and stakes. Crams up about the size of a large pair of socks. (If anyone wants to order a custom-made bivvy out of epic let me know).

I set it up and hosed it down in my back yard for about 5 minutes or so. Water beaded and rolled off the fabric no problem. The interior was dry as a bone.

Oh, and I had not seam sealed it.

Epic is the shit for lightweight personal shelters that I have tested. I imagine using it fora tent would be just fine with one caveat: the fabric is very thin and therefore pretty fragile.

rbw1966 said:

I have a friend who is making bivvy sacks out of Epic. He made me one that is modeled after the Bibler bipod bivy--sort of a one-man tent that weighs in at a scant 1 lb 7 ozs including the pole and stakes. Crams up about the size of a large pair of socks. (If anyone wants to order a custom-made bivvy out of epic let me know).

I set it up and hosed it down in my back yard for about 5 minutes or so. Water beaded and rolled off the fabric no problem. The interior was dry as a bone.

Oh, and I had not seam sealed it.

Epic is the shit for lightweight personal shelters that I have tested. I imagine using it fora tent would be just fine with one caveat: the fabric is very thin and therefore pretty fragile.

Where does he get the EPIC? I've been trying to get some.

Beck said:

marylou, you are a GEM of integrity on this site-

but make sure to actually test the things you are reviewing?? because if you haven't found out the first need purifier ( the best mech filter IMO) clogs faster than any of the others (because of the small pore size)

and that the MIOX pen brews up about what MICROPUR actually is, and very similar to aquamira,

My experience with both field testing the FN and "clog testing" (I used some pretty chunky water to try and clog them all) provided different results. Thing's big and clunky, but it works pretty good.

As far as the other thing, I had just received the info on the MIOX a few days prior to leaving, and no, I had't gotten a complete understanding of how it worked yet. So, now I know that it brews that stuff up, and I didn't before. tongue.gif

MIOX Pen Pen_with_Quarter.jpgSmall, compact, probably expensive but... like the M203 40mm Grenade Launcher (11.79 pounds) it's used by the US military so must be good. First Need Purifier imgportable2.jpg Large, bulky, but with lots of tubes. Can pump you with 1.8 litres a minute baby.

Which would you rather shove up your ASS?MIOX Pen, because all those soldiers make me hot.First Need Purifier, because I Need it BAD!Neither this whole thread bores me shitlessBoth. If it will shut you two up.

erik said:

iain is right...all that crap is for wusses!

drink it straight. i dont see how attempting to isolate yourself from the natural enviroment at the same time you are "enjoying" it.

bring less junk.

course you aint drinking ass water outta the euphrates.

of course. and if I was downstream from ag. runoff or at ingalls lake with tp visible up the hill I would hesitate about the crypto thing, but really I think 96% of mountain water is good to go, and iodine is cheap too. Crypto symptoms ain't the same or nearly as long as a good case of giardiasis either. HIV+ people beware though.

erik said:

iain is right...all that crap is for wusses!

drink it straight. i dont see how attempting to isolate yourself from the natural enviroment at the same time you are "enjoying" it.

bring less junk.

Disclaimer: What Erik fails to mention is that his lack of penis size and bulk is directly related to his insistence of unsafe drinking practices in the bush.