Yosemite suggestions

DPS

I may be taking a short trip to Yosemite this early spring with my Dad. Can anyone offer some suggestions for some interesting scrambles that would be snow free in March and have a nice 'summit'? Nothing too technical, my Dad is not really a climber.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-Yosemite Point...start early to avoid the masses.-Half Dome Cables Route...Ditto.-Mt. Dana...super nice view of Mono lake and the high country. -Definately go up into the Cathedral peak basin...Blue lake(???)-Mt. Conness, walk up...the zone up by North peak is really nice as well, up past Saddlebag lake.-Hike up to the base (the top ain't worth the hike)of El Cap with trash bag, just to gain a different perspective. May want a helmet!-Easy fricton slabs to the top of Fairview Dome, wear sticky shoes.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. All are nice day trips. Have Fun!

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

I don't know if it'll be melted out, but if it is, I definitely second the Half-Dome suggestion. The cables allow Joe-sixpack to get up to a summit that is really only accessible by 5th class terrain in safety. The view is fantastic, the hike is beautiful (and strenuous - dad's gotta be in shape), you can hang your feet off the tip of the visor with nothing but thousands of feet of overhanging air 270 degrees around you and Half-Dome is one of the most quintessential landmarks for the valley.

Watch out Below!

I believe that most of what has been suggested thus far will be rather snowy in March.

You said "nothing too technical" because he is not a climber, and this may or may not be what you had in mind but many years ago I used to take non-climbers up a short multipitch climb near Yosemite Falls and we had a good trip every time.

I don't believe the climb is in any guidebook, but if you walk east from the bottom of Yosemite falls, within several hundred yards you will encounter a small buttress on the right side of a gully. On that buttress is a climb of about three or four short pitches (perhaps 100 feet each), that are mostly scrambling but include some fun climbing up to perhaps 5.2. The belays are all on large ledges with tree anchors, and the top of the buttress is a small knob from which you have to rappel to get down (two long rappels down the gully I described above).

Mattp

quote:

Originally posted by danielpatricksmith:
that would be snow free in March and have a nice 'summit'?

That could be tricky, anything resembling a "summit" i.e. above the rim of the valley, will probably still have snow in some form. Conness, Dana, etc are all high enough that I'd think they have lots of snow that time of year. Yosemite Point is a sweeet spot if you beat the crowds. You could always hike up the descent trail on Manure Pile for a decent view. The cables hike is a grind, but great views, and a shitload of people. Weirdest summit in the valley is HD, people see you on the last pitch and start pointing, mob you on the summit, ask a bunch of dumbass questions. We did convince two german girls to carry our ropes down though...that was cool, sharing their wine and their beds was even cooler. Have fun, I miss being able to hike and stuff with my dad.

the best trip i can suggest is taking the shuttle to Tuolomne, leave your ride in the valley, if the snow has melted.

Start at Cathedral Lakes TH, hike to Cathedral Lakes, and then onto Clouds Rest. Spend night on top of Cloud's rest... amazing sunset/sunrise over valley, and sierra ridge perspecitvely. Then next day, hike out via Muir trail, and on the way down go up the cables on Half Dome.

Teah, March is pretty early to get up high...the road to Toulomne ussualy opens around memorial Day. The cables on Half Dome won't be up in March either. Yosemite point will be your best bet then. Take him across the traverse off the Lost Arrow Spire!

Wait...where did dan say he was going in March???

Climb onto a bench and throw back a few tall boys at the Deli and call it "bonding". Ski a few runs at Badger Pass. Unless you've got skis or snowshoes, getting to the peaks will be tough. Half Dome would be ambitious what with the cable being down and the small saddle before the cable being in shade most of the day (and therefore snowy). If the Highway 120 weren't closed in winter, I'd suggest North Dome by approaching from near Porcupine Flats. Caltrans strives to have 120 open by Memorial day.

Buttrudder say's, this is a cascade climbers web site, not some s*@# site to discuss pussy routes in the valley. Reefer to 02/08/02 and feel the disdain that a displaced cascade climber has had to acknowledge... Anynow, there are plenty of scramble routes in the valley. Low key and out of the tourists way are the rewarding scrambles around Hetch Hetchy Valley (The Real Valley). Enjoy...

Instant Graemlins....These things are strange to me but quite interesting....This one suiyts me just fine,but it does hound bandwidth..... grin.gif" border="0[hell no][hell no] (Big Scarey ankle turning bolted route)!