Pickets photos

Marko

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Mark,

Wish I'd seen your topo a few weeks ago, though your beta was helpful. I went and repeated a small part of your Inspiring traverse with my fellow masochist Ed, managing to avoid the worst of the Terror Glacier. We went from trailhead to West McMillan/E Towers col on the first afternoon/evening, including Terror glacier ascent by headlamp. Bivy in the notch. Then across the 5 towers and up Inspiration in mist/drizzle the next day. Partner had trouble freeing the 5.8 layback and then just jugged the 5.9 crux on the E ridge of Inspiration (what an amazing pitch!). We reached the E summit of Inspiration just as the clouds cleared for sunset and we decided to bivy there. Brrr. In the am we crossed the summit ridge to the W summit of Inspiration and then rapped/scrambled down the W ridge. We were hoping to link the Pyramid and Degenhart that day but bailed for various reasons (were out of water and hadn't encountered any snow to melt - short on sleep because we were a bit light on warm gear - and of course the fog/drizzle set in again, oh well). Instead we contoured to the Barrier/Degenhart shoulder, melted snow to rehydrate and napped. We then crossed over to the Barrier in the evening to a bivy on the ridge near the Chopping Block. Climbed the Chopping Block that day and then thrashed down the barrier to the trail junction and back to the car that night. The bushwhack down the bottom of the barrier ridge was interesting. Thankfully some climbing fool left a 12-pack of Rainier Ale for us to tap into near the end of the logging road bigdrink.gif. It provided some last juice for the hike out in the dark. Twas a wonderful adventure in pristine wilderness.

Anyway, I expect to see you at the slideshow in a few days.

Look forward to swapping some tales and seeing your photos then,

cheers,

Rad

Nice job, man. Sounds like you had a full on Pickets trip. Was that your first visit in there? If it was--> REALLY nice job!

How was getting over to the upper Barrier from Inspiration, did you hit the glacier or stay on rock? And how "interesting" was the bushwack getting down to the valley from the Barrier?

Yes, it was my first time to the Pickets. Truly Inspirational. We went super light...maybe too light as you'll see in one photo. There was really no possible retreat down the Terror glacier, which made it rather committing, especially as the weather took a turn for the worse. But we made it. Will give you beta on Barrier access and bushwhacking at the slideshow.

Meanwhile, I've figured out how to upload a few photos of our trip...

Spaceman Rad

Near E summit of Inspiration

A few more photos of our trip

Hopefully those links will work.

Spaceman Rad