GPSs

climbanut

Anyone have any feelings on GPS vs Altimeters. My Garmin Summit went out and now I was thinking of replacing it with the Geko 301. But, I also was thinking of an altimeter watch. My thoughts are GPS because I like the ability to place way points. Don't ask for the old summit beacuse it's gone.

Whadyathink? thumbs_down.gifthumbs_up.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough one. Versatility of a GPS vs the portability of an altimeter watch? I only use the altimeter durring the 4 months of winter and hope to do more icefield traverses, so I'm probably be going w/ the GPS - one w/ AA batteries I can swap between my avy beacon, headlamp, and GPS.

Now, do I realy want to spend an extra $150 for a GPS w/ mapping function?

Depends on what type of stuff you do. I sometimes take my GPS, particularly if in potential whiteout conditions, or in featureless terrain like a desert. But I ALWAYS have my altimeter watch with me. I consider an altimeter to be a fundamental navigational tool, and a GPS to be a very helpful tool in certain conditions/situations.

GPS is certainly no substitute for actually being able to navigate, but it can be really nice for moving faster through whiteout or confusing terrain. I got the most use out of mine on the ptarmigan traverse in June, where we navigated from the spider-formidable col to the white rock lakes, all in pretty much no visibility. While this certainly would have been possible without the GPS, the ease of "look and go" sure made it nice and fast.

I carry both-plus map & compass- for redundancy's sake though more and more favor the gps. The wee Geckos work well and, imho, in terms of bang for buck are hard to beat. Am still using alkaline AAA batteries but am about to grab a few sets of nickel metal hydride rechargeables. Alkaline's are SO suck in the cold not to mention landfills.

climbanut said:

Anyone have any feelings on GPS vs Altimeters.

gps are the only way to go when visual clues are not available. that rarely happens when climbing. but the gps will give a pretty good position (within 100 meters) in crap weather when an altimeter (with map and compass) only will give a dead reckoning.

gslater said:

Depends on what type of stuff you do. I sometimes take my GPS, particularly if in potential whiteout conditions, or in featureless terrain like a desert. But I ALWAYS have my altimeter watch with me. I consider an altimeter to be a fundamental navigational tool, and a GPS to be a very helpful tool in certain conditions/situations.

thumbs_up.gif What he said.

Garmin Vista. You get a GPS, barometric altimeter (like the Summit) and the ability to download maps and other useful information into the GPS (I take my GPS on all travel, loaded with the maps and business info for wherever I'm visiting). I don't think the antennas on the e-trex units are all that great (they don't acquire for shiite under tree canopy, in my experience) but they work great once you're on the snow. bigdrink.gif

Kevin_Ristau said:

The Garmin Vista and Legend models only get half the battery time of the Summit because of their map screen which has twice the resolution.

I think the electronic compass has a far greater effect than the resolution; battery life sucks with it on, so I always keep it off. Lithium AAs give excellent battery life in the Vista. Sure they're expensive, but worth it IMO for the battery life, and they weigh a bit less to boot.

bigdrink.gif

without a question the garmin vista kicks ass. I have had it for over two years now, and it has become indespensible to my training. I track my mtb every night. then plug the data into Trek Analyst on the internet, and can monitor my progress. I train this way with friends all over the country. It has saved my ass more than once in the winter when huge storms covered all tracks, and would have left me portentially screwed. It is a good safety precaution!!

Also it is great to TRACK climbs, becaus eyou can alnalyze angles, calorie burns, and all kinds of data. The Vista is crucial due to its large memory capacity. thumbs_up.gif

Alpinfox said:

gslater said:

thumbs_up.gif What he said.

count me in too thumbs_up.gif