Ramona Creek rox

OK, so here is the deal. Dr. and Mrs. Flash Amazing did a short overnight backpackin' trip up to Ramona Falls on Friday evening, taking the short leg (up the Sandy River) of the Ramona Falls Loop up to the falls, and returning via the slightly longer trail down Ramona Creek. Now, starting about 15 minutes or so down the trail from the falls (give or take; the Doc wasn't watching the time too closely), and continuing for several hundred yards, there is a cliff band of basalt on the side of the crick opposite the trail. It looks to vary from about 60 to 100+ feet in height, and seems to be comprised of huge exfoliatin' flakes (forgive DFA's not-too-geology-wise description) and large, clean, sweeping faces, as opposed to the usual columnar stuff. Light grey with lots of water streaks in places, and bulging out toward the top, a bit of it looks limestonesque from the trail. Unfortunately, the Amazing family had to book it back to town for a friend's wedding that afternoon, so there was no up-close or extensive gawking, but there's obviously a shitload of rock to be climbed up there, and it looked, for the most part, to be very solid (from a distance of perhaps 30 yards).

So, knowing that this is a ridiculously popular hike, this crag has obviously been explored, and knowing that y'all folks get out into the wild unpaved yonder far more often than yours truly, someone has gotta know something about this fine-looking slice of volcanic goodness. Perhaps someone or some someones might be interested in sharing something? Beta, perhaps? A guidebook that might mention the place?

Anyway, it made DFA want to pick up some of them trad widgets and sew up some crax, or hike to the top and rig some nice TRs off the handy cliffside trees.

Anyone? Anyone?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iain said:

You will be drawn and quartered if you start drilling up there, guaranteed.

DFA,

just think of the marketing aspect of this?? a little dfa in every bottle. true send power!!!!

yellaf.gif

we can talk figures later.

I've scoped that thing while on a hike couple years back. Looked like pro would be difficult, and thus, i'm imagining, the reason for waynes mixed route. Didn't look like it had open cracks like Lamberson, but it does sport some impressive sweeping overhangs if I remember correctly. Always meant to head back there to try some aid on it and check things out.

Being as its right off of one of Hood's most popular hikes AND in a wilderness area, I don't think it would be a place for bolted lines of chalk caked holds. Get off the beaten path for that.

Some of the climbs for that area are listed in Olson's Portland Rock Climbs. Its on my list of places to check out as there is at least one route I can climb (5.9).

I assumed this was a troll as I am sure the good doctor has a copy of PRC so didn't respond sooner.

Yeah.... well it was foggy, and I remember the cliff being above the PCT at the Sandy river crossing.. Maybe a mile or two up on the right side of the river looking up the drainage? I think I'm thinking of a different escarpment entirely.... cantfocus.gif

(edited for clarity, although I don't think it helped smirk.gif)

iain said:

[Easy to confuse PRC with "Oregon's Scenic Meth Lab Tours", they're both about the same size.

speaking of that.....iain congrats i heard you are on your 3rd run of this version.

is it true, you still go out and individually test each place?

rbw1966 said:

From page 144, Portland Rock Climbs (First Edition):

"Ramona Falls Crag

Minor climbing has been done here recently, but the area holds excellent potential for the future.. ."

There is more but I'll let you find it.

You must got the old version of PRC. DFA could find no such mention of anything remotely Ramonal on the given page.