CLIMBING ROCK

Dave_Schuldt

I AM PUTTING THIS HERE TO GET EVERYONES ATTENTION. ANY MOUNTIES OR WACS OUT THERE WANT TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE?

Hi:

I've corresponded with each of you several months ago about the potential for a sport climbing facility as part of Seattle Park and Recreation's project to develop an open space/park beneath I-5 in the Eastlake neighborhood.

We developed a site plan that identifies an area where this would be possible. I am contacting you to determine if there is sufficient interest and organizational energy to make this happen. Parks has approximately $1.1 million to develop the site, however the budget is stretched thin because of the size (7.5 acres) of the area. The Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC) is organized and has pledged to contribute volunteer effort to design and construct mountain biking trails. Citizens for Off-Leash Areas (COLA) has pledged stewardship and management of the off-leash portion of the site. We would be looking for similar committment and contributions to the project from climbers. Do you folks think this is possible? We would need to solidfy interest within the next few months. You can check out the latest information of the effort at http://www4.cityofseattle.net/parks/proparks/projects/i-5openspace.htm

Thanks

David W. Goldberg

Parks and Recreation

Project Planner

(206) 684-8414

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MisterE said:

Dave_Schuldt said:

Citizens for Off-Leash Areas (COLA) has pledged stewardship and management of the off-leash portion of the site.

I can't support anything that allows climbers to be off-leash. cantfocus.gif

Actually, I think it's the mountain bikers that are going to be off-leash. I have a serious problem with that.

wirlwind said:

1.1 million is fucking crazy

thumbs_up.gif

No doubt, the government dudes up here don't like us makin fun of um, but a bunch of us got a local school to donate some land and the community pitched in, no government allowed. We ended up building a million dollar (market value) skate park for the kids for $14,000 less than the state built a two stall bathroom for us to dump in. yelrotflmao.gif

Well, the state can't use volunteer labor, amateur designs, etc. It costs a lot to get a backhoe out there to excavate trenches for plumbing. Maybe the state plumbers shouldn't get paid union wages? (Just be glad the military didn't build it!)

What do you suppose this site would cost to run if Jon, Timm@y, and all the moderators were getting paid Microsoft wages for the time they put into it?

That said, it'd be great if there was a way that those of us in the climbing community could contribute effort rather than just $$ to building a climbing rock there. It'd be cool to have one protected from rain.

Alpine_Tom said:

Well, the state can't use volunteer labor, amateur designs, etc. It costs a lot to get a backhoe out there to excavate trenches for plumbing. Maybe the state plumbers shouldn't get paid union wages? (Just be glad the military didn't build it!)

What do you suppose this site would cost to run if Jon, Timm@y, and all the moderators were getting paid Microsoft wages for the time they put into it?

That said, it'd be great if there was a way that those of us in the climbing community could contribute effort rather than just $$ to building a climbing rock there. It'd be cool to have one protected from rain.

GO TO THE MEETINGS!!! THEY ARE VERY BORING BUT THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES.

Alpine_Tom said:

Alpine I think your right in that. The park I mentioned cost us a fair amount. I think we spent a couple hundred thou. We got local companies to donate the excavation, the heavy equipment, sell us the concrete at cost, Lots of stuff that went into it. Now we have a first rate park that attracts people from all over the USA. (and Canada wink.gif) We pretty much put it on the skaters, either take care of it or lose it we are puttin up money and time first now it's in your lap.

I think thats Daves whole point with the funds. Seattle is willin to put up the money if we will put up time and support. I would be alittle concerned about health workin out under the freeway but a free park is worth checkin out. I say thumbs_up.gif

AlpineK said:

I'm really looking forward to exercising in a park with tons of toxic fumes raining down. hellno3d.gif

Don't forget about the constant noise and dust filtering through. There will be so much on the holds, it'll make crappy sandstone feel like granite. hellno3d.gif

MisterE said:

AlpineK said:

I'm really looking forward to exercising in a park with tons of toxic fumes raining down. hellno3d.gif

Don't forget about the constant noise and dust filtering through. There will be so much on the holds, it'll make crappy sandstone feel like granite. hellno3d.gif

Wow, you guys have managed to out-do yourself. This thread has to be the sorriest shitflinging negativity fest ever.

Losers.

moon.gif

fleblebleb said:

MisterE said:

AlpineK said:

Wow, you guys have managed to out-do yourself. This thread has to be the sorriest shitflinging negativity fest ever.

Losers.

moon.gif

Hey, Flab/blab, just because people bring up issues that don't follow your rosey outlook, it becomes a "shitflinging negativity fest"? These are real concerns, and real problems.

I used to climb under the I-5 by the Dub before they chopped it, and have climbed various cracks around the city, as well as bridges, and it is FILTHY ! boxing_smiley.gif