Middle Sister

deskjockie

I happened upon this forum and have truly enjoyed some of the dialogue and route descriptions I've read. Now I submit my own very meager post with hopes of not being laughed off our modest summit.

Bear with me intrepid climbers, this coming from a middle aged accountant who is beginning to enjoy the Cascade summits with his 12 year old son. We're sticking to pedestrian routes on much traveled peaks (Diamond, S. Sister, Adams, Hood). Sunday, July 20, we left Eugene at 4am for Obsidian TH. Started hiking at 6am. First snow above Sunshine, just east of PCT. Although warm, snow at about 7500' firm enough to make crampons worthwhile. Hiked up what I thought was well traveled Collier Glacier route although few signs of recent visitors. Ascended from saddle between North Sister and Middle to what we considered a fairly challenging steep snow ladder. About 60-80 vertical feet of kicking steps. Continued on to summit arriving just after noon. A little over 6 hours from the car. I'm sure y'all do it in half that time. The surprise for me was that we had the summit to ourselves for our entire 45 minute stay. Shirtsleeves were more than enough. Clear and spectacular. I know most folks diss the Middle Sister but the solitude of our walk and beautiful views all along made it worth our while. A little over 3 hours back to the car with about 2500' feet of pleasant glisade. Another great day in the mountains. Geek_em8.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the exact same jaunt last October, right after the first snowfall. Beautiful day, with zero other people in sight. Upon reaching the PCT, I ran into one guy, who said he was off to climb N. Sister. I told him I was off to climb Middle. Satisfied that we each had a mountain to ourselves for the day, we parted ways. I never saw another person the whole day. Most excellent. I think the Middle summit may have the best view in the state.

sounds like you and your son had an awesome time. rockband.gif I was up on the N. Ridge of N. Sister on Saturday and eyed the route that you took; i've never gone up Middle that way, but it does look kind of enjoyable. It sure is nice to have a choss pile all to yourself this time of year, isn't it? yellaf.gif

jlag,

I was up there alone and just getting an idea of what's up there for when i do the Sisters Marathon later this summer. I only went to about 9,800' but i found the rock to be a lot better than on the standard SW ridge route. it appears that the rock quality (if i can call it that) decreases past were i was. there is no snow all the way up except for the Terrible Traverse, which is still covered. i saw some fixed lines up the Bowling Alley also. I did see some spontaneous rockfall coming from somewhere around the Bowling Alley as well. watch out and wear your brain bucket. pitty.gif

Here's what the pinnacle looks like from the N. Ridge: 3720north.jpg