Update on two of your climbers lost in Tuolumne

ftb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BWAHAHA Brent is a crazy dude, way cool.

Hey, slabs are sketchy, I'll admit I don't like them that much!

Rumr- I don't know if I'll ever be stompin', I've been climbing with some crazy strong people in squamish lately, but I'm starting to feel better on harder problems.

Boulder Boy? I can dig it......

hey, ftb; glad you found the site! you guys were the best!!! thumbs_up.gif i just got back from four awesome days of climbing [mostly cracks] in squamish. (where by the way i also saw distel - yeah, you guessed it - BOULDERING!) being in yosemite and getting to lead everything distel and i climbed together there got me really excited about leading more trad. what is it about the brink of being scared shitless to take a fall that is so enticing? evils3d.gif

ftb, i WILL be going back to yosemite. many times i imagine. and if i ever get my ass in gear (lol) and learn some aid skills, i think it might be cool to climb something "big" with you! grin.gif

thelawgoddess said:

got me really excited about leading more trad. what is it about the brink of being scared shitless to take a fall that is so enticing? evils3d.gif

That's great, tlg. Tuning in to what the rock wants you to do is an even better high.

thelawgoddess said:

Greg_W said:

Tuning in to what the rock wants you to do is an even better high.

please expand.

It's different for everyone, so I can only speak to what I experience. When you get to the point where you flow through a climb and become one with the rock, it's features, and climb them in the way that is most natural, that is the feeling. A true connection to the earth and the stone. I look for this more often than looking for the adrenaline rush; runouts are runout, they are just how it was supposed to be climbed that day.

Enjoy.

Greg

thelawgoddess said:

i see what you're saying now, greg. and i understand. but i also need to be pushed and challenged. there's a balance.

It's all about balance, that's my point. When you feel this on hard climbs (that subsequently don't feel as hard as they should), it is awesome.

ftb said:

In tow was the boulder boy wonder, Distel32. Up we all go on the approach. Tuolumne approach are more like soloing. She was holding her own and all three of us got a kick out of watching boulder boy attempting to us his fantastic foot work on the slabs. Ha, Ha. It was a real sight to see.

After climbing with them for a couple of days, he was still scared of slab. Your trad leading bomb-shell was still looking for some nice cracks instead of runout slab. The only problem is that all the nice cracks have some 4th class slab descents. Boulder boy was not in for that at all.

I still say that if anyone strong enough to boulder at that level sets their sites on cracks there's no stopping them. Put homeboy in Coach's hands for a few sessions at UW rock and he'll be crankin', guaranteed.

Greg_W said:

thelawgoddess said:

Greg_W said:

Tuning in to what the rock wants you to do is an even better high.

please expand.

It's different for everyone, so I can only speak to what I experience. When you get to the point where you flow through a climb and become one with the rock, it's features, and climb them in the way that is most natural, that is the feeling. A true connection to the earth and the stone. I look for this more often than looking for the adrenaline rush; runouts are runout, they are just how it was supposed to be climbed that day.

Enjoy.

Greg

wow greg turned into a hippie! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifyellaf.gif

I am the imfamous asshole that drinks breakfast beer bigdrink.gif while spouting spray pitty.gif in his lawn chair with binoculars in hand.

Anyway,

Distil and TLG I had a blast climbing with you in Yosemite, It would have been fun to hit some of the back country stuff but there is always next time.

Next time you come through you should look up brent or I, cause I won't hesitate to bug you if I am ever up in Squamish country.

TLG how come you are so quiet in person, When your posts suggest otherwise??????Was it cause I was looking dead sexy in my grubby climbing rags??? yelrotflmao.gif

salami said:

I am the imfamous asshole that drinks breakfast beer bigdrink.gif while spouting spray pitty.gif in his lawn chair with binoculars in hand.

Anyway,

Distil and TLG I had a blast climbing with you in Yosemite, It would have been fun to hit some of the back country stuff but there is always next time.

Next time you come through you should look up brent or I, cause I won't hesitate to bug you if I am ever up in Squamish country.

TLG how come you are so quiet in person, When your posts suggest otherwise??????Was it cause I was looking dead sexy in my grubby climbing rags??? yelrotflmao.gif

haha, yeah it was fun climbing with you too! good job on Orange Man again! And yes you are dead sexy moon.gif