SW Oregon Book: Good or Bad?

gapertimmy

I was thumbing through this the other day, for the folks that have it out there... has it been a good resource?

$30 seems a bit steep to me, that is alot of lap dances at stars.

On that note, anyone climb any of that shizzy down off the umpqua towards diamond lake?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got that book Timmay. It's full of typos, and the route descriptions are offset on some sections, but at least it gives good directions to all of the areas listed. I've been to a few of the areas. The Honeycombs, Flag, Youtklut, and they're all beautiful. Haven't gotten to actually climb the upper Umpqua rocks, but they're really pretty, and there's a ton of camping. So for me at least, it's been a good purchase. Greg Orton has a website that has corrections listed, and he's really prompt with the e-mail replies. rockband.gif

I've been to Youtlkut once a few years ago. we just went rappelling, but i rememer that it's all columnar basalt and i'd guess that it would be a lot of fun if it wasn't such a long drive to get there on mostly gravel roads. thumbs_down.gif but i'm sure that you'd almost never see anyone there.

wazzumountaineer said:

I've been to Youtlkut once a few years ago. we just went rappelling, but i rememer that it's all columnar basalt and i'd guess that it would be a lot of fun if it wasn't such a long drive to get there on mostly gravel roads. thumbs_down.gif but i'm sure that you'd almost never see anyone there.

Its called "Abseiling." The Euros, Aussies and South Africans love that shit. "Extreme Abseiling" for those of you on the backpackers circuit.

retired said:

An updated edition will be coming out by 2004/5. i know for a fact that several major areas not covered in the first guide will be added, and of course updates & corrections for those presently covered.

nice! guess i'll just wait then, and mooch off others for the time being hahaha.gif

Winter said:

Its called "Abseiling." The Euros, Aussies and South Africans love that shit. "Extreme Abseiling" for those of you on the backpackers circuit.

A few weeks ago I was walking off the east ledges of el cap and saw a german couple walking down. They asked us what we had climbed and replied that they had been climbing too. I thought this was interesting because they had no climbing gear except their harnesses and a rope. I asked them which route they had gone up and they said they had climbed the falls trail and now they were doing some "extreme rappelling" back down the "scary" east ledges decent.

texplorer said:

Winter said:

A few weeks ago I was walking off the east ledges of el cap and saw a german couple walking down. They asked us what we had climbed and replied that they had been climbing too. I thought this was interesting because they had no climbing gear except their harnesses and a rope. I asked them which route they had gone up and they said they had climbed the falls trail and now they were doing some "extreme rappelling" back down the "scary" east ledges decent.

Yeah, I've heard of this too. I have this stoner friend who always wants to go rappelling off of bridges and shit. He doesn't climb though. I can't figure that out. Wierd.

I avoid it as much as possible.