Broken Top

Farrgo

I'm thinking about going up Broken Top this weekend 6/28. Wondering if anybody could shead some light on what conditions might be like? Is there snow at Golden Lake. How are the ridges should they be a scramble right now or are we gonna have to deal with any snow? Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in at Park meadow today, which is damn near Golden Lake and we hit a lot of snow still lingering in the trees...like feet of snow. Also, i was up on B-choss a couple weeks ago and the NW ridge route is completely snowfree; we saw guys doing it in shorts and hiking boots. I'd give it a go. thumbs_up.gif probably no need for crampons or axe though. rockband.gif

The most difficult aspect is crossing Fall Creek. We did it Sunday 6/21, no snow on the ridge but plenty between the trailhead and the saddle. If you ski in take your skis up the ridge and use them on the scree slope decent. Great standing glissade conditions too.

iain said:

is there another broken top out there or is someone really coming down from bellingham to climb that chosspile? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifpitty.gif

Yeah, I have to ask, if you live in bellingham, which is like 1 hour from awesome north cascades peaks, wtf would you go all the way to central oregon to climb broken choss for?

Josh K, i'm actually living down in PDX area right now. There's no way I would drive from the ham just for broken top either. Haven't heard anything about this climb, figured it was gonna be really chossy just from the looks. Thought i'd take a peek for myself though.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to be camping down in gapertimmy-land this weekend with a mixed group of climbers and non-climbers (but all strong hikers) - we're contemplating Broken Top as a day trip, and I'm looking for comments about whether people think this is a reasonable goal. From the couple of reports I have read, it sounds like there is one 10 or 15 foot semi-technical portion, but otherwise it's pretty much a scramble? Any chance of there being snow on the route this late? Thanks for any input.

I'm thinking about going up Broken Top this weekend 6/28. Wondering if anybody could shead some light on what conditions might be like? Is there snow at Golden Lake. How are the ridges should they be a scramble right now or are we gonna have to deal with any snow? Thanks

Conditions have changed greatly from last year. The whole mountain shattered over the winter and it is now a huge pile of loose crappy rock. I am sure it will be a lot of fun. Once on top find a large flat rock stand on it a surf down all the other loose rock back to camp.

... it is now a huge pile of loose crappy rock.

So how is that any different than last year?

Actually, I think Broken Top is a fun scramble. You can take non-climbers on the N. Ridge, but be prepared to turn around just below the top if some get weirded out. The technical part is just a couple of 4th class moves, but it feels kind of airy and newbies might not be comfortable. But, its just below the top so the timid can stay behind and wait (or turn back and start down) while the more adventurous continue the quick scramble to the top.