Olympics Master

kevin_page

Does anyone know of the Grays Harbor area cranberry rancher who's goal it is to climb all of the summits in the Olympics over 1000 meters. Named or not, he's been tagging the tops of everything identifiable since 1980. Last I spoke with him his count was 350 something out of around 370. He may have set some records unintentionally in this pursuit like, most time spent in slide alder and devil's club or nights without a woman. I'm wondering if anybody else was or is doing the same thing.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned a good technique for traversing slide alder. I stand on the limbs\branches and avoid the ground. I use my arms and just yank my way through. It's almost like hovering limb to limb. Total Tarzan jungle effect works great for me. This is where those zip on zip off super high tech lightweight pants excel in the backcountry once again for me. I also like any type of really breathable shirt for the sweat that inevitably comes when whacking too grin.gif" border="0

I heard that some people use gloves but I am stubborn and will never use them, it's cheating! I say thrash up your hands and keep them honed and tough for those granite cracks. Grab that friendly Devil's Club and make one with it.

Another steep grass\dirt technique is to kick steps as one would in snow if you dont have crampons. Sink your fingertips in good too. Crampons can be useful as well as a single hiking pole or stick if you are not in the dense bush.

You dont want a lot of shit hangin from your pack either or it seems to catch on every single branch you pass mad.gif" border="0 Hats are a no go for me because they just fall off too.

In the jungle of the North Cascades I find it useful to also have a bladder drinking system when you are hopping across slide alder as well. You dont have to dig in and out of your packs for a drink while balancing helplessly on slide alder wink.gif" border="0

Doing rappels:I never rappel into waterfalls or steep creekbeds unless I know I can get out.

Tennies are the way to go. Much more dexterity when thrashing around. Boots dont allow the ankle flex needed to move quickly for me. No glasses they will fall off or hang on something inevitably.

So all you dedicated bushwhackers tell me your tips!

If carrying skis, lash them together so that you can carry them as a single unit, then hang them from the side of your pack, just above waist height, so that the tails point straight ahead of you and the tips trail behind. Steer the tails between the branches and follow them.

If I'm hiking with poles, I hold them like a downhill skier going througg slalom gates. This allows you to push through thick brush and it protects you from brush your partner in front of you snaps into your face frown.gif" border="0

Another good technique to use when ascending or descending very steep brushy slopes is to actually grab the brush as you're going up or down in order to hold you to the hill. I think there is a technical term for this but the name of it escapes me now. tongue.gif" border="0

In slide alder and such I find it easier to head straight for the middle of the bush, walk between the branches and out the other side. Slide alder might usually suck but them's pretty trusty vegetablebelays on steep terrain.

Cap'n must really like pain thrashing in Devil's Club. Everytime I brush that stuff it implants a bunch of almost microscopically thin spines straight into knuckles and such. Usually not too bad until you have to put some pressure on it, like a hand jam! Yow!

Cap'n's right about shit hanging off of your pack. Big no no.

When crashing through anything that might be spiny or hide spinies, never push the bush out of the way with your hands, but use your body or pack. A brimmed hat is good for protecting your face in this kind handless thrashing.

Ice-axe like ice tool is great for steep slopes and slimey logs. You can also hook trees and such with it.

The most cush bush thrashing is downhill over that Cascades spongeground through blueberries. The blueberries don't impede one bit but grabbing 'em can let you brake a little with your arms and give your legs a rest.

Talus hopping: size up each rock before committing and have a plan in mind for if/when it shifts; i.e. you usually have an idea which way it's gonna shift and if it does so just count on going for the ride and how you're gonna exit. This gets pretty autopilot after a little while.Take off your sunglasses on talus. Being able to see down in the shadows between the boulders can help you size them up more easily.

I think what really slows people down on steep scree and talus is the need to be in complete control at all times. Anytime they start to slide it's gotta be arrested before the next step. Get past that. Let the mountain take you for a ride. Instead of stopping each slide completely just try to stay a controllable speed. Figure out where it's gonna take you, and adjust accordingly.

Chuck [big Drink]

shit! half the people veggie and i climb with are the mirror image of the Olympic Master... just over in the cascades. no offense to anyone of you cascade masters reading this... but damn we've done some stupid ass summits! i will say this though, my tolerance for pain and misery has gone up 10 fold since getting in with that group. maybe someday i'll be 1/2 as tough as stefan grin.gif" border="0

of course i know that in the back of veggie's twisted mind i'll always be a pussy sport climber... fer' sur tongue.gif" border="0

and just to put some perspective on these super summit baggers i did a trip last winter with a guy whose DOG reached its 200th summit! (the dog was about 5yrs old)

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:

Caveman, judging by the way you seemingly dismiss devils club as a big problem, it's obvious you haven't ever had to deal with *real*, *manly* devils club. Maybe you're mixing it up with gooseberries or something
grin.gif" border="0

I find travelling through Devil's Club often easier than Slide Alder or Slide Maple. Though it is nasty stuff, it doesn't grow so thick you have to fight for every inch forward.