Mt. Lemmon Arizona is burning

freeclimb9

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is mount lemmon? If it's like most of the mountains in arizona it won't look much different after it's burned. I was down there for 4 july a few years back and a firework accident caught an entire hillside on fire. that was pretty exciting to watch. rockband.gif

JoshK said:

What is mount lemmon?

Mt Lemmon is actually a pretty good sized peak, 9157' at the top with a ski area (okay, yellaf.gif small ski area) on top, in the Santa Catalina Mountains just north of Tucson. Round about the midpoint it starts growing some good sized ponderosa pines, which carry on to the summit. There are great crags distributed all over the mountain, and generally speaking, you can find the right temperature somewhere on the mountain at any time of year. It can be too cool for shorts in August on the top. There is probably at least as much climbing on that mountain as all of Leavenworth, Darrington, Index, Static, Vantage, and Tieton combined. If I recall, they had a really bad fire season last year too. What a bummer to have happen to such a great place. cry.gif

To start - it is too damn hot. the_finger.gif

The place is brown, dirty, and full of freaks. cantfocus.gif

I guess it is not necessarily what it is - but what Phoenix lacks. Trees, mountains, green grass, water......

I also have family still living there. It is great to visit at Christmas and wear t-shirts & shorts. thumbs_up.gif

Yes, the pollution is horrible and the scenery is awful. Phoenix is the best example of the worst the desert southwest has to offer. It's Las Vegas without the sin, It's los angeles without the ocean and the celebs. THe heat is unbearable in the summer, and when it rains, everything floods. The crime is bad and it has a huge redneck population. To quote somebody else's expression (from this site, I believe), it should be used at the proving ground for the neutron bomb.

-josh

pollution, people, and hot like you wouldn't believe. Damned evil burning orb in the sky just won't go away. Phoenix also has enough pavement and other mass that it just doesn't cool down at night much either. Tucson was better, though still damned hot 6 months of the year, at least back in 1985 when I lived there for a bit. Well, actually I guess the town was a bit of a hole, best described as Queens with palm trees, but it was smaller and easy to get out of, and ringed with mountain ranges and climbing areas.

rbw1966 said:

Phoenix: where a baby's first words are ". . but its a dry heat"

Josh - I have to agree with everything you said. smile.gif

You forgot to mention that it doesn't even cool off at night due to all the asphalt. evils3d.gif

But it is NOT a dry heat anymore. All the damn golf courses have made the city humid.

Got some of my rappell brothers and sisters down there as well as some other fire friends taken care of business! Sounds like a huge fire. Have to live vicariously through them this summer though. Actually, I kind of like the break..what a great summer it already has been!

Call me crazy but I really believe Arizona is beautiful! The Grand Canyon is amazing and much of the scenery (minus the large cities) is something to be seen. Of course I have just been there for fires, so I haven't experienced it on my terms but the desert is very mystical and intruguing to me...the whole southwest desert for that matter. I want to roam that area someday again.

Burn Lemmon Burn

I hear a riot goin on

First their guilty now they gone

Yeah I'll check out the AZ

But It'll take a burnt one to move me

Get me the hell away from this TV

All its news and views are beneath me

So all I hear about

Is spray ringing out

Bout two gangs blowin each others head out

Alright brothers lets go hangout

Black sprayas kick some slang out

For all these years we looked like clowns

The joke is over smell the smoke from all around

Burn Lemmon burn Lemmon burn Lemmon burn

[deep voice] Ice Pube is down with the C.C

Now every single bitch wanna PM me

Big Daddy's smooth words to mother

Lets check out spray that exploits the color

Rollin thru Lemmon late at night

Red and blue lights what a common sight

Get pulled to the curb dont get played like a sucka

Dont fight the power - spray the motherfucka

etc rolleyes.gif

We were all talking about phoenix specifically

Yah I know, just was trying to make ya focus on good things...I guess.

I actually have never been to Pheonix. Doesn't sound very hip. Been to Snowflake/Show Low..that area, and the Grand Canyon.

kitten said:

You [JoshK] forgot to mention that it doesn't even cool off at night due to all the asphalt. evils3d.gif

What's Off_White, chopped liver??? rolleyes.gif

Off_White said:Phoenix also has enough pavement and other mass that it just doesn't cool down at night much either.

tongue.gif

snoboy said:

kitten said:

You [JoshK] forgot to mention that it doesn't even cool off at night due to all the asphalt. evils3d.gif

What's Off_White, chopped liver??? rolleyes.gif

Off_White said:Phoenix also has enough pavement and other mass that it just doesn't cool down at night much either.

tongue.gif

prolly cause their posts are less than 1 min between