Vertical Times

LUCKY

Vertical Times latest issue:Andy Fitz gets award from access fund for the most work done to preserve access for 2000-2001. Andy won the award for his outstanding efforts to defend climbing freedoms in the pacific northwest he led numerous climber-stewartship events at little si and other crags and helped preserve access to lower town wall at index. My thanks to Andy for all his hard work and it must be hell with his work load being assistant attorney general of tocoma. It must be a thankless job ,Land mangers bitchen about climbers ,climbers going off about being cut off from there local crag.I think andy deserves a few posts of appreciation.How about it C.C. spraymasters

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: LUCKY ]

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I think it's bitchen all the work the dude Andy does for us climbing bums. I am prowd to say I'm a member of the access fund ( at less than the price of that camalot I just bought!) Maybe we should chip in for a bag of the DA-KIND for ol Andy (just kidding)Yoda says the more you give back to climbing the more doobie climbing will be !! [chubit]

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Smoky Mcpot ]

Thanks for the plug, Lucky! Most of what I do is behind-the-scenes. Because of that, a lot of climbers don't realize just how much the Access Fund does in Washington, or around the country. To give an idea, here's what I've been working on since 1995:

1995-present: Active re: access issues at Little Si. Organized projects that built trails to Repo Rocks, the Woods and World Wall I and information board at turnoff to Repo Rocks (still need to work with DNR on postings). 2000 Adopt-a-Crag project w/ REI installed fence to discourage shortcutting to Repo Rocks; 2001 Adopt-a-Crag project w/ REI built part of trail to new trailhead parking (opening this spring). State DNR now welcomes climbing at Little Si.

1995-present: Working through fits and starts on potential public acquisition by State Parks of Lower Town Wall, Index. Every time we get closer, something seems to come up, but it still looks promising.

1995: Worked with Washington State Parks on development of climber-friendly climbing management regulation for agency. Regulationaffects Peshastin, Beacon Rock, much of Index, much of Exit 38, Horsethief Butte, Deep Creek (Spokane), much of climbing at Banks Lake.

1995-2000: Worked on climbing management plan for Beacon Rock. Worked on peregrine closure issues at Beacon. Worked on opening East Face. Ian Caldwell, who volunteers for the Access Fund from Portland, is taking the lead now.

1995-present: Worked on climbing management plan for Exit 38. Organized projects that built trails at Trestlearea (1997 & 1999).

1995-present: Worked on access issues at Frenchman Coulee. Organized projects in 1996, 1997, and 2000 (built the trails to Powerhouse and Fatman/M&M Walls; built rock walls/wood barriers at Feathers; built info board at parking lot. Bought the two porta potties (downto one now). Organized the first meeting that brought together people for Frenchman Coulee Climbers Coalition.

1999: Commented on scoping for inter-agency management plan for Banks Lake area.

1999-2001: Worked on issue related to potential closure of Forest Service road leading to Green Giant Buttress, Darrington. In July 2000 & 2001,Access Fund co-sponsored trail restoration project for Squire Creek Pass trail (leading to 3 O'Clock Rock).

2000 & 2001: Organized trailbuilding project at the Bend, Tieton River area.

In addition, Elden Altizer, the guy who volunteered before me, was a player in getting Peshastin Pinnacles reopened (the Access Fund chipped in $10k); helped scaling back a blanket raptor closure covering entire lower Tieton River area, and organized the project that built the current trail to Castle Rock in Leavenworth.

I mention all this because the Access Fund REALLY needs more support ($$$ and members). Go to accessfund.org for more information!

Also, while I'm flattered that I was recognized with this award, I don't feel I've done as much to deserve it over the past couple of years, especially. I'm married, now with two kids, and I have a challenging job (which is actually in Olympia). Plus, I still like to climb some, too. So, I really applaud the discussion Darryl and Matt P. are kicking up; we need climbers to step forward for every crag and become caretakers.

(PS to Wes: Saw Mahoney just last night! Don't we have our 20th reunion this year?)

Yes, Thanks Andy. Now for all you other people out there. Come on join the Access Fund. It takes a big membership to show government officals that the organization has votes. They don't like negative votes at election time. We should also volunteer for at least one trail building activity a year. Ya, I know some of you say "I am off only 2 fucking days a week and I am not going to work on my day off"...Well, just do it once. Lots of volunteer action is impressive. I've been on a few of these trail building activities and they are fun. The biggest ones have been in Lander, WY and the smallest have been in Washington. We have a huge number of climbers in this state and we sure could use some more members in the AF.

PLUS think of this. A lot of climbers and back country people hate snow machines, dirt bikes, 4X4s etc. Well, if we (and by we I mean all the previously mentioned hated groups) don't stick together and maintain status quo in our said areas of use the ANTIs of all use of land for recreation will slowly push us all out of our areas. At times the enemy of our enemy is our enemy and we must stand together or die.