Figger_Eight

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great caption on that photo:

"Ed Viesturs CONQUERS Manaslu".

Yeah... I'm gonna go CONQUER snow creek wall today (if my partner ever shows up...). I'm gonna beat that thing into submission and hang it above my fireplace when I'm done.

Let's hear it for hubris!

He is a well known and rich American. Like Tommy Caldwell and those other climbers who were held hostage for a while. I'm sure some folks in Pakistan/Afghanistan would love to hold Ed and his bunch for ransom or kill them. I don't blame them for keeping a low profile.

FUCK THE SEATTLE TIMES!! This just goes to show how fucked up the media is and how they only think of themselves. Ed shared with me why he was keeping a low profile and said I was not to tell ANYONE where he was or even share the link to his website. It was hard for me to not tell you guys, but I considered it a breach of security. I just hope it wasn't one of his "family and close friend" that gave the link away. I know it might not have been a huge secret, but the TIMES (media) blasting it all over the place is exactly what he was trying to avoid for security reasons. What gets me is they even SAY that in the article and then go on to publish it anyway. SHAME ON THEM!

Edited by David_Parker

Distel32 said:

hey lummox the dude has some cash!!! Do you really think he is not that wealthy?? I'm not saying he's up close to pual allen status, but eds not exactly going to be worrying about money anytime soon.

really? i bet he be barely middle class income (which is fuckin way more than i pull in). dude barely works. is his wife loaded or sumpin?

I met him in september and he gets payed to do shows (where I met him), I believe he gets pretrty much all his trips paid for, and I know he gets payed by mtn hardwear. Probably got paid a good amount to do the imax film in '96, He probably brings in more than low middle class

Many Pakistanis, like for instance Nazir Sabir and his guiding company, are really suffering from the decline in tourism in Nepal, and are only too glad for high profile Westerners to come visit, even more so now. wave.gif

As for Veisturs dude must be still getting royalties for playing himself in Pervertical Limit. Think hes takin' nitro?

David_Parker said:

FUCK THE SEATTLE TIMES!! This just goes to show how fucked up the media is and how they only think of themselves. Ed shared with me why he was keeping a low profile and said I was not to tell ANYONE where he was or even share the link to his website. It was hard for me to not tell you guys, but I considered it a breach of security. I just hope it wasn't one of his "family and close friend" that gave the link away. I know it might not have been a huge secret, but the TIMES (media) blasting it all over the place is exactly what he was trying to avoid for security reasons. What gets me is they even SAY that in the article and then go on to publish it anyway. SHAME ON THEM!

"Viesturs decided to relay details of the trip to The Seattle Times because he now feels safe on the mountain..."

Sounds like they sat on the news until he said it was safely through the hike in. (Not that the Seattle Times isn't a complete rag, only that in this particular case they don't seem to have one anything inappropriate.)

Distel32 said:

hey lummox the dude has some cash!!! Do you really think he is not that wealthy?? I'm not saying he's up close to pual allen status, but eds not exactly going to be worrying about money anytime soon.

Just curious, do you hande his finances? Balance his checkbook? Manage his assetts?

Ed works very hard when he is not climbing. He does corporate motivational speaking, slide shows and has a book out and been involved with other things that bring in $. I'm sure his sponsers take care of him as well. He has a nice home on Bainbridge where he raises his family. Pretty normal, nice guy whos worked hard for all he has achieved in life.

"He does corporate motivational speaking....."

You see, life is like climbing a mountain...it begins with a first step...everyone's got a little Mt. Everest in their life...it might not have snow and big scary stuff on it, like the real Mt. Everest, but it's a big challenge....and when I'm doing a big challenge, I always rely upon [bRAND X] to get me through those difficult moments.

lummox said:

Alpinfox said:

He is a well known and rich American. Like Tommy Caldwell and those other climbers . . .

rich? damn dude. i hate to see what you call poor.

Ed Visteurs is rich. And so am I and so are you and so is Tommy Caldwell.

This is what I call poor:

""Severe" poverty, where more than one-half of the population subsist on below US$1 a day, was evident in eight countries - Mali (72.8), Nigeria (70.2), Central African Republic (66.6), Zambia (63.7), Madagascar (63.4), Niger (61.4), Burkina Faso (61.2) and Gambia (53.7) - of the 77 with data available in 1990 or later. "Severe to moderate" poverty - utilizing the US$2/day poverty line - existed for more than three-quarters of the population in 14 countries: Nigeria (90.8), Mali (90.6), Madagascar (89.0), Zambia (87.4), India (86.2), Burkina Faso (85.8), Niger (85.3), Pakistan (84.7), Gambia (84.0), Central African Republic (84.0), Nepal (82.5), Mozambique (78.4), Bangladesh (77.8) and Ethiopia (76.4). Poverty is clearly widespread and a prevalent problem in these countries, all of them in East and West Africa and south-central Asia. Latin America has not escaped the problem of poverty either, though. Countries such as Bolivia, Ecuador and Honduras show at least half the population at below the US$2 a day level. Of the highest poverty gaps measured at US$1 a day, more than 25 per cent were in Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Madagascar, Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Zambia."

http://www.ilo.org/public/english/employment/strat/kilm/kilm20.htm