Beer, Dubage, and Climbing

Heinouscling

So I'm sitting here in my cube thinking about how I should be on ice or crags and not in my cube and I'm wondering how ingrained within the climbing culture is beer and dubage (aka pot). From what I've read and know, it would seem that beer, dubage, and climbing go back a long ways. I know that dubage was very much a part of the climbing culture back during the 60s, epecially in The Valley. Now, when I go climbing up in Canada, especially at places such as Skaha, there are always a few instances when I am climbing on some wall and a gaggle of Canadian climbers will come along. Inevitably, the thick cloud of dubage smoke will waft up around me and before I know it, my head is spinning, without me actually having taken even one toke. This does not seem to happen so often when I'm climbing down South. So, please excuse the generalization, but it would seem that the Canadian climbers are especially fond of the dubage. Is it just Canadian climbers that like the dubage or is dubage a rich part of Canadian culture in general? I know that BC weed is infamous for its quality which may help to explain the Canadian climber's extreme fondness for the dubage. The American climbers seem to really appreciate their beer even though good beer in America has only really recently become available to the American beer drinking masses. I myself prefer a good, dark beer. Sometimes in large quantities. This will probably be the case for me at the festival. I've heard that Caveman appreciates a good beer also. Comments?

-Heinous

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to claim that Canadians are fond of "Dubage" (I prefer the term herb), I think it has a lot to do with the fact that if you are caught growing herb in Canada, you do not lose your house and go to jail for 15 years like one would in the USA, due to your minimum sentencing laws etc. Often a grower in Canada will simply have his equipment confiscated and may face a financial penalty depending on the quantity grown. Unless there are weapons charges involved, it is unlikely the grower will see any jail time at all. Besides herb is one of the most benign substances known to man. Legalise the weed, I say. What have I started........

A few clarifications:

The BC legendary quality is just that...legend. Don't get me wrong, they're growing the dank up there, but the same genetics are all over the world. All those "brand name" strains are being grown all over the country. In fact, there's a seed merchant in BC who specializes in hybrids of former Cannabis cup winning strains and other famous strains...like Jack Herer, White Rhino, Bubblegum, Blueberry, NL5, Superskunk, Dhurban Poison, Kush, Shiva...many of these were developed at Sensi seed bank in the netherlands.

Re: convictions. Totally depends on quantity. Below 100 plants and Feds won't usually be involved. The "emerald triangle" of Northern Cali (Del Norte, Humboldt, and Mendocino) passed referendums to allow possesion of up to 25 plants for personal consumption last year. Given these are at the county level, but enforcement is typically carried out by the Counties...Sheriff's Patrolmen are usually the ones, that's why the county jails are so full of pot offenders when the fed pens are not.

That said, I got irie-IGHT before training at the gym last night as I often do, makes it easier to deal with the crowds and attitudes. I've seen a crew of 6 Yankees in parties of 2 all stop halfway up Kor Ingalls and whip a mini-bong and jug of water out and toke down before the crux offwidth (first party left it in the pack hanging from thre belay for the rest). Needless to say I got my ass to the summit in a hurry via the north chimneys to make sure I got to participate in the summit smogging. Once on top of the Grand I turned around to a pair just topping out who walked over, requested a lighter, and puffed me down with a Bob special. And one time, in band camp, I shoved a hog-leg....

I'm curious. How many of you think the herb is a performance enhancing drug? I have some partners that claim it to be so, though my research reveals the contrary to be the case. While their sense of enjoyment may go up, their ability and motivation almost always seem less when they doob up on the way to, or during, a climb. In my view, Rebagliati (had he actually imbibed himself) should have been an EXTRA medal because if he could win his event while stoned, just think what he might have done without the smoke.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: mattp ]

For hard aid smoking a big bomber is mandatory for fear control, unless you are speed climbing, cause it will slow you down all mellow like.

For serious runouts smoking a bowl is also good. Same reason.

For sport climbing... I dont think it helps.

For bouldering... why else do you think the sit start is so popular?

For mountaineering ... the Muir hut hot box. Nuff said.

Regarding doobage (it's DOOBIES,dudes) and performance,

in the sixties, anthropologist Colin Turnbull(sp?) went to study the M'buti pygmies in central Africa.

The M'butis were a VERY primative people, living in bands of less than fifty people, living in temporary dwellings, with no written language or knowledge of agricluture- with one exception.

The men tended to herb plants, whixh they would smoke as an aid to pig hunting- seems the dope would let them sit on their asses all day waiting for the pigs to run into their net-

I don't know if there's any parallel or message in that, but I just thought I'd share-

Dwayner, any reiteration/clarification on this one?

are we not adults people???? leave the gay/sex stuff back where ever you found it and it wasn't here.

disclimer: hetero sex is good, talking about sex isn't too bad either, but talking about the shit you guys talk about is annoyingly disgusting.

quote:

Originally posted by Heinouscling:
I knew it. We have a bunch of heiny stuffers here.
[Moon]

-Heinous

The pot is calling the kettle black. You guys remind me of sexual chocolate. What kind of flamers are you? Why dont we go back to talking about weed cause that is much more interesting. One time I was walking through a clearcut in BC and i found a plantation and we ditched our gear to carry out more bud... you know... those kind of stories.

grin.gif" border="0

I'm Sorry. Yes we are trying to get pregnant. Gotta get little Larson climbers and start them young, not when they are in thier forties. No I wasn't at work went to go see Oceans 11 , pretty good flick saw Ali yesterday . It has been hard to fill my vacation time since I took it this week for Rainier .....Bummer

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Dan Larson ]

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
are we not adults people???? leave the gay/sex stuff back where ever you found it and it wasn't here.

disclimer: hetero sex is good, talking about sex isn't too bad either, but talking about the shit you guys talk about is annoyingly disgusting.

sorry dude, the bathroom humor carries me away now and then. I'm such a perv. I'm cool now.