Cassin Raid Light

Winter

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodchester said:

I thought the Stubai ran about $100.00? So are they free?

Alum Crampons

I have the Kong 12 point and love them. Climb Axe has them for for $59.00...pretty damn cheap. bigdrink.gif

I thought the Stubais were about $150. I'll probably beat the hell out of whatever I get, so might as well go cheap as long as they'll stay on my foot. The Grivel's are step-in and I'm looking for something strap-on.

erik said:

go cheap, cuz i was lookin at those things the other day and for some reason i dont think they would last walking on rocks......

cant be havin tools that dont last!!!

Yeah, but they sharpen real fast. Just don't try to use your fine file that you use for your tools. It'll gall up so fast that even a drill mounted wire brush won't clean the teeth. Buy a small bastard cut file or better yet a second cut file designed for soft alloys with self clearing teeth.

Actually I think they are hinged. I think that the front of the bar hinges at th point that it connects to the front section of the crampon.

Here is what one web page said about them:

Cassin Raid Lite Crampon With Straps - Light enough for the Raid Gauloises or Eco Challenge races yet strong enough to get you up Everest and back again, the Cassin Raid Lite 10-point crampons with straps will fit almost any boot. Great for winter trekking and climbing.

I'd HOPE that if you can trek in them, they're hinged? confused.gif

But who knows confused.gif

Check this:

wazzup.gifAre they Hinged or Not?

I've got a pair, they are effectively hinged by that bar, which the heel piece slides along to make them more compact for packing. My son has been the one to use them, since my old Salewa's won't quite adjust out to fit his monster feet, but they seem just fine. I think the Stubai's are a bit lighter, but I don't know that they're $50 lighter.

• 1 year later...