Alpine rock classic?

ken4ord

With all the guide books out there I feel like a kid in a candy store and can't make a decision for a long alpine rock route. Been eyeing Index peak and will probably get on that especially before this winter so that I can get the lay of the land for the winter ascent. I don't know if that would fall in a classic category, but it looks cool. So I am putting out to you all. What is your favorite 1000+ foot rock route in the Cascades (up to 5.10)?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LIB CRACK

DEBUTT OF SEWS

E FACE LEX

N RIDGE OF STEWIE

SWRIB SEWS

E FACE BRIDGE CREEK WALL

COBRA

S FACE PRUSIK

THINGS THAT LOOK GOOD

CLEAN BREAK

CRYSTAL TOWER

SOME ROUTE ON THE E FACE OF SEWS

MT HARDY

BOVING ROUTE DRAGONTAIL

DOLPHIN CHIM(MORE OF A VARIATION)

W FACE COLCHUCK BLANCED ROCK

N BUTT COLCUCK PEAK

N BUTT OF BEAR

THIS IS ACTUALLY MY TO DO LIST THIS YEAR.

Don't forget Burgundy Spire! I second the vote for N Ridge of Stuart, that's a great route, but make sure you do it complete, not starting in the middle from the glacier. N. Butt of Fury is classic but that's a bit more mixed mountaineering.

Erik's got a good list of climbs, though they are mostly 5.10. In that range, you might take a look at Slesse, as well.

For something easier, and JUST PLAIN FUN, I'd take a look at Goode's NE Buttress. If you are the multipitch 5.10 trad/sport leader who solo's up to 5.7, you'll probably solo up and down it but it's still fun.

I disagree with Tod about the lower half of the N. Ridge of Stuart. I thought the climbing on the lower part was fine but not great, and I'd do just the upper half of the route if I went back to repeat it.

By the way, I don't think you'll find many people around here who would say that the N. Face of the N. Peak of Mt. Index is a classic alpine rock climb, but I would say that the traverse of all three peaks of Mount Index, usually done N to S, is a worthy summer outing.

slesse, NE, navwall, EB direct, SEB

rexford, ER, Pillar of Pi

yak check

matriarch Grimface traverrse

macabre beckey/must/condon route

another vote bear direct nb

east face of the Deacon

springboks

steinbok edwards/spagnut

all other good routes are not in the cascades smirk.gif

Hey Erik, So I got some questions. Prussik does it go free, (Becky's guide variation)? What is SEW? Where is Bridge Creek Wall? Cobra q'est se?

Also if you need a partner for any of those that you listed they sound great so far the ones I found in the guide books. Colchuck, Prussik, Stewart all look good. Yeah, I know about Darrington and have been wanting to get there too.

Tod said:

Don't forget Burgundy Spire!

On the contrary, forget Burgundy Spire. The rock is lousy, the climbing mostly forgetable, the only real noteworthy thing about Burgundy is it's one of the harder Washington summits to obtain. (no "walk-ups") The other routes mentioned are far superior.

A few others-

Mt Triumph, NE ridge

Forbidden, any route

Colchuck, NE Butt

ken4ord said:

Prussik does it go free, (Becky's guide variation)? What is SEW? Where is Bridge Creek Wall? Cobra q'est se?

prusik goes free if you don't aid.

SEW= south early winter spire,WA pass

BCW &cobra are in the iciclecreek valley, L-town. Cobra is only 3-4pitches.

BCW is many pitches.

bigdrink.gif

My comments about routes. And most of them are found in guidebooks.

Prusik - Any way up should be good

Stuart- NOrth Ridge

Slesse- NE Butthole

Index- left of NF - think it's 195? route or so.

Forbidden Peak- ER direct

Obviously everyone knows about these routes. I dont include Wa pass spires because there is no actual alpine setting. It's more suited described as sub alpine but with excellent rock in most areas that are unmatched in nearly any part of the range. To sum it up it's just cragging near the road for most of the Spires but NOT all.

bigdrink.gif

slaphappy said:

Tod said:

Don't forget Burgundy Spire!

On the contrary, forget Burgundy Spire. The rock is lousy, the climbing mostly forgetable, the only real noteworthy thing about Burgundy is it's one of the harder Washington summits to obtain. (no "walk-ups") The other routes mentioned are far superior.

The North Ridge variation to the North Face route is stellar. Incredible positions and huge exposure on a solid knife edge ridge.

Cpt.Caveman said:

...I dont include Wa pass spires because there is no actual alpine setting. It's more suited described as sub alpine but with excellent rock in most areas that are unmatched in nearly any part of the range. To sum it up it's just cragging near the road for most of the Spires but NOT all.

bigdrink.gif

Or "Alpine cragging" if you will.

dalius said:

Cpt.Caveman said:

...I dont include Wa pass spires because there is no actual alpine setting. It's more suited described as sub alpine but with excellent rock in most areas that are unmatched in nearly any part of the range. To sum it up it's just cragging near the road for most of the Spires but NOT all.

bigdrink.gif

Or "Alpine cragging" if you will.

Depends on how you look at it. I just enjoy the crevasse walking and glaciers. You cant match that in the Sierras for instance. If I wanted to climb good rock I could climb at Wa Pass or I could go to the Sierras too. But the subject aint about that.

bigdrink.gif

Thinkin about Kangaroo Temple this season wink.gif Elitism of a definition is so silly hahaha.gif