Anyone else do this?

Peter_Puget

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been seriously thinking about building one. VW doesn't seem that keen on letting me thrash my tools on their nice shiny gym wall.

If anyone has actually done this let me know. I think there's a book and/or R&I article out there on building your own wall, but let's face it it's really not that tricky if you've done a bit of home improvement etc.

I'm using grivel indoor picks on my woodie blush.gif....works ok but most holds I have are tough to hook and stay put it's really helping develop control and the ability to keep my picks still once on a hold. I also ditch my hammers and sometimes tape my spikes to reduce that 'ol possinbility of puncturin myself. tongue.gif

crampons work good in plywood though evils3d.gif

and for real dry tooling practice you should be able to hook your heel spur on holds or tools, its about torso and leg strength, not just arms.

those real rock holds dont get damaged like resin ones do, by metal tools and points. also most gyms have a box of old broken ones somewhere they want to get rid of... no need for dry tooling holds to have tendon friendly shapes!

I do this on my home wall, but only in rock shoes. That guy is pretty bold to be climbing on it w/o a helmet IMO. I'd have a stamp of a black prophet on my forehead if I didn't use one.

It is a great workout though, however on a short wall like mine, only being able to traverse gets kind of borning with ice tools. Better to go with the side-of-house option like Loren. grin.gif

My wall goes up 8 ft and then 45 deg overhang (12/12 pitch roof) for another 8 ft. I've manufactured wood holds for drytooling but am not afraid to hook on the plastic either. You can also just drill holds in the plywood. One word of CAUTION!!!! Wood is sensitive to moisture levels and therefore expands and contracts. A hold put on in winter will be a spinner in summer! Be sure to retighten/check holds all the time. A spinning hold will put your adze or hammer through your forehead!