What to do with a teenager?

ChrisT

Well I can't blame him for quitting a job like that. It takes a special personality to be able to do, "cold call," sales. It's probably ok if he doesn't have those skills.

I think you should encourage him to look for another job. It's a good way for him to find out about himself.

AND HAVE A bigdrink.gif AND RELAX wave.gif

snaf.gifsnaf.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Seriously. YOU have to decide what is important in life. If it's your son or your carreer. If you care about your son, you'd plan things around both of you. He wants to do things that involve YOU too. Don't just dump him off at a job or consider military scool or a camp or something. Get out and do things with him. Take some time off or change jobs to one that allows you to spend time with him. Teach him what's up in the world. Then it will all make sense and things will improve in your relationship and he can avoid "therapy". Don't try and take the easy way out.

ChrisT said:

His job was selling newspaper subscriptions door to door and he's quit already. A salesman he is not.

what a suck fuckin job. buy that boy a steak dinner for not being a dumbass. then push the kid to get physical job. hes old enough to bus tables work on a farm or other kina shit jobs. send him down to the marinas to hustle work cleaning boats. sned him to alaska with a fake id to throw fish for the summer. use you imagination.

Curious, and I dont mean this to sound condesending, but have you sat down and just straight out asked him how he would like to spend his summer? Maybe ask him to develop some sort of list (prioritize) and sit down with him, go thru the pros/cons of each.

I just think if you give him the opportunity to see his choices, he will make the best decision for himself at this point in his life. If you disagree with his choices/decision, just sitting with him and discussing it might make him feel more open to comprimising with what you think is the best thing for him.

I dunno. Your son is 15 yrs old. That is still soooo young! Children, teenagers, even adults need to 'play'. Let him be part of the decision in what game to play. From what Ive read of your posts in the past, you seem to be a great person, who has probably instilled some great values in your son. Sounds like now is the time to give him the opportunity of showing them to society.:)

In regards to work...I just saw a program on tv about how teenagers are having a hard time finding jobs, because of the unemployment rate (college students, folks getting laid off are taking the service jobs kids his age used to get for the summer). When I was 15 my mom had me volunteer with special olympics. Maybe he could do something like that using his skills/talents or to develop new ones. This is a good way to start teaching responsibility, helping otu in society, and hopefully give him a feeling of accomplishment. Then when he is 16 (which I thought was the legal working age), he might have more confidence and motivation to find a job he can tolerate.

Whew! I could probably go on...but I will spare you and the others with my babble.

Good luck!

eric8 said:

I also cannot empahize for your son, 15 is to young to work. The only job a 15 year old should have is mowing the neighbors yard or something of that nature.

Are you fuckin' jokin' me... yeah thats great... lets raise a buch of lazy kids that don't know anything about work and the working world untill they are already in it, sweet,... fuQ... I rather have a fifteen year old that doesn't now anything workin for me than an eighteen year old that doesn't know anything or better yet a 23yrold fresh out of skool that has only mowed lawns for work.... pffffttt....

So, teenager hates job, hates everything (you suggest for him to do). This negative attitude is hard to live with. What can you do with him for the summer?

#1 No work, no money is a good general rule.

#2 All summer? Let him camp at the beach in a big tent, resupply him with food once a week, $50 per week spending money.

#3 Send him on a Greyhound bus to Camp 4 in Yosemite, with $100 a week spending money, a rope, rock shoes, and a helmet.

And relax, whatever happens couldn't be worse that a summer a cantankerous emptyness at home with the parents. yellaf.gif