Leothold Couloir

climbanut

I'm going to be taking two others up Leothold Couloir on Saturday after spending Friday night at Ilum saddle. Has anyone heard what the couloir conditions are like lately? This time of year I'm wondering if a warming pattern is likely increasing us getting pelted. We'll probably head up at about 4 am.

What is the opinion out there for roping up vs not roping up in the L. Coulouir? crazy.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was avalanche activity on the Reid Headwall this weekend. Warm weather definitely increases the rime debris funneling down the couloir, particularly as the sun hits the rime cliffs on Yocum R. and upper Reid. Whether to rope up or not would be how comfortable is your team with 45 snow/ice.

climbed the s. side this past night....the track is pretty fast at the moment, 4 hours to summit...i'd expect, barring major snow over the next few days, the snow should be nice and compacted....crap raining down on you will always be a problem, especially if it's windy as all hell...got pelted several times tonight above the 'schrund (not so pleasant at the summit, around 15 degrees w/ 40 mph winds)...wear a helmet and be a man!

The snow right now is pretty horrible on some parts of the mountain except the hogsback route (climber compacted) There is breakable crust on top of sugar. Leutholds might need some time yet.

Edited by Billy

Thanks all for your advice. it's going to be an interesting weekend on the mt with the recent warm weather and who knows what kind of conditions in the next two days. We will still get to the base of L. Couloir and take a look before making the decision. Having never gone up that route has just made me cautious about the attempt. We still can do the other routes mentioned if we will have to wade through soft stuff while being pumled with ice and rock. Thanks, ivan for the recent beta on your last night's climb. Same to you Billy and Rymand... good info.

What's the general thought on packing snowshoes for getting over to Illum rock and across the Reid . I usually leave them behind.

climbanut (why can't i get "bustanut" oughta my head?)...don't forget to get drunk at the r&r w/ everyone before ye leave...i'm now returning home to make up for all the sleep i lost last night, to get my drinking legs under me, so ta speak

Definitely don't climb too early. I camped at the saddle last sat night to climb leothold, but what we thought was the route was Way off, and we ended up climbing the first gully up to the reid headwall (first variation of castle crags). We just stayed right under headwall (where the avalanche was sunday morning) and when we got to that first rock outcrop we just started climbing.

The gully was actually not bad- true the snow was kind of sketch- with about 6" to a foot of loose granular over softish styrofoam, but higher up, when the going got steep (to 50+ deg), we were able to sink some pickets.

Anyway, you really have to drop and traverse the reid. Get right under Yocum. From what I now understand, that should do it. good luck

Ascend steep slopes, look for the belay bush next to the chockstone, turn right then head for the obvious descent gulley. This will put you at the base of a major coulior.

Don't climb from here. Instead call 911 and Iain will come rescue your ass.

Actually, with all the fresh snow, I wish I had brought snow shoes. We bagged the idea of summiting after getting just above the lifts Friday afternoon, after climbing through the snowstorm, wind, drifts, no visibility, etc. Another time, my cyber friends... bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif