Cheap TI pots?

Bronco

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with Al. Cheap (about 10 bucks), very light, etc. Perhaps not as durable, but for 10 bucks, I don't care. I like one with a simple bail, no handle. As for Ti, doesn't MSR make em? Not cheap, but hey, it Titanium.

Bill_Simpkins said:

Those are made from now decommisioned Russion Nuclear subs. The titanium is from the reactor. wink.gif you want to eat from those? go ahead. hahaha.gif

Well, duh!

With one of those you can melt snow without the stove!

Twight would be so proud. fruit.gif

I'd agree about the cheap russian ti being decommisioned russian military hardware.

I wouldn't eat out of them, I imagine beryllium, cobalt or other isotopes or just nasty stuff is in them.

Just so you know,

MSR Titan 2 liter pot- 8 ounces 69.00

MRS Blacklite cookset, two pots plus frypan- 45.00

take the two liter pot from the blacklite 9 ounces

anyone who cooks in a sub 1- liter pot in the backcountry hasn't done much backcountry living- two liters is a great size for one person or two.

you can drink tea and stuff, and have washing water, and stoves work more efficiently on a larger pot anyways.

one ounce more than the ti pot.

Beck said:

anyone who cooks in a sub 1- liter pot in the backcountry hasn't done much backcountry living- two liters is a great size for one person or two.

I often take a .9 liter pot on light alpine trips. But I guess I haven't don't much backcountry living or something. rolleyes.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

Sphinx said:

Go with Al.

Al is definately cheaper than Ti, but what's the latest on the correlation between cooking with Aluminum and Alzheimers?

HUH? WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

erik said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

Sphinx said:

Go with Al.

Al is definately cheaper than Ti, but what's the latest on the correlation between cooking with Aluminum and Alzheimers?

There was some speculation a while back that Aluminium intake was linked to Alzheimers. I've no idea if this was ever proved but Aluminium exposed to the air very rapidly oxidises. Aluminium Oxide is inert, you would have to boil something quite acidic in the pan to free up any Aluminium and consume it.

erik said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

Sphinx said:

Go with Al.

yelrotflmao.gif very subtle grasshopper!

Sphinx said:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=403&parent_category_rn=5760753

I've got this thing. It's like (12oz), if you use AL foil for a lid it's lighter, and reasonably durable. I know a guy who's been using one for about 10 years now.

I went into REI today and put one of these on the candy scale. With the plastic wrapper still on, 7.5 oz. You could remove the big handle and prolly get it down to the same weight as the "evernew" Ti pot at 6 oz. Thanks for the tip thumbs_up.gif

It's even a little bigger than the Ti pot in case I forget my helmet.

Bronco said:

Sphinx said:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=403&parent_category_rn=5760753

I've got this thing. It's like (12oz), if you use AL foil for a lid it's lighter, and reasonably durable. I know a guy who's been using one for about 10 years now.

I went into REI today and put one of these on the candy scale. With the plastic wrapper still on, 7.5 oz. You could remove the big handle and prolly get it down to the same weight as the "evernew" Ti pot at 6 oz. Thanks for the tip thumbs_up.gif

It's even a little bigger than the Ti pot in case I forget my helmet.

thumbs_up.gif

plaques in the brain of Alzheimners patients contain elevated levels of Aluminum.

what is not known is if the Al causes Alzheimers or just gets seived out of the blood by the plaques and hence concentrated there.

not all russian titanium is decommissioned military Ti. just the opposite. they have so much Ti over there they made everything out of it cause it was cheaper.

I wasn't aware of much titanium being owned by your average citizen in Irkutsk or Petrograd in the eighties, more like cheap pressboard, pot metal and coarse recycled wool- did the soviet means of production really use titanium in pre collapse, 5- year plan, consumer goods? Was there titanium in sufficient quanitites in the soviet union to support a non military use of the raw materials? I wasnt aware of that. And i was pretty involved with soviet culture during the 1980's.

were dudes lighting paprosi with titanium zippo knockoffs?

my opinion on the pot size is based on 25 years of out there time and weighted towards lots of snow travel (cause if you're melting for drinking you want a biggass boiler), plus one of my general maxim happens to be:

more pot!

piss off, allison, a man's got his opinions!

i was sleeping in the snow before i was ten, i've got some experience, babe. probably logged a couple of years worth of days sleeping outside, maybe several. I'm sorry if you don't like my advice on stuff.