which vehicle?

freeclimb9

In consideration of the high mileage on the car I drive (it's bound to break down one day soon), I'm searching for a new one. And since RobBob got such great advice about a 4WD SUV, what car would be good? I need to haul three people with gear and bikes, traverse snowy and icy roads (but rarely need high clearance), and get decent mileage. I'm thinking about a Subaru Impreza wagon, VW Jetta wagon (looks kinda gutless, though), or maybe a Toyota Tacoma double cab (but that only comes with automatic tranny which isn't as fun to drive). Any suggestions?

thanks for your help.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freeclimb9 said:

RobBob said:

Audi or Jetta wagon thumbs_up.gif

I like the wagon, but the Jetta hp is only 115 (unless I go turbo, then the insurance does too). Do you know if the back seats fold flat and make enough room to sleep (like 6 feet worth)?

Tjettas are pretty small for sleeping in, but you probably could. I can recommend either an A4 wagon or passat wagon however. Audi's AWD system is the best for snow/icy roads, no question. Subaru's is second. I've driven and owend multiple of both and neither will disappoint. VW's passat is the same system as AudiQuattro, alothough marketed as 4Motion. Both are dual torison diffs vs. open viscoused coupling on the subbies. The subbies, obviously, are a lot cheaper, so that's a benifit fer sure.

The tacoma is cool, too, I've been lookinb, but the problem is the bed is ridiculously short on the 4 door model. Not long enough to sleep in, I determined. tongue.gif

Yeah, I was looking at that nissan too.

freeclimb, one interesting thing to think about is the altitude you live at. I notice you are in UT. I'm not sure how it compares to CO (seems like it would be similar), but I know in CO, AWD turbocharged cars are very popular. forced induction (turbos) works very very well at altitude because the turbos are able to make up most of the different in atmospheric pressure that is lost at altitude. This is why if you take a turbo V6 car and a V8 car that are nearly identical speeds at sea level and have them race over a 10,000 foot pass, the turbocharged car will win.

Note that in an Impreza, you have no hope of sleeping unless you're pretty short and by yourself. Even in the Legacy, the way they've got it rigged up with the seatback folding down and latching onto the flipped-up bench seat, there's like 5'11", so if you're pushin 6', you gotta take out the bench part of the seat if you're going to sleep in it comfortably. Maybe just one person would be OK, 'cause you can be diagonal in there.

Anyway; damn, just buy a Sub', they rocks. They handle like champs, too, with the low-COG Boxer engine. Good get-up on the hills, too, even loaded fulla shit for a trip. You pass everybody, no problem.

Thanks for the input. With regard to elevation, the town I live in is at 4500'. I'd like to get a Subaru WRX wagon, but the added upfront cost and increased insurance hurts. But turbo would be kicking to drive.

I'll check the Passat and the Nissan. Probably check what Isuzu has as well.

Enjoy the holiday.

Fairweather said:

Have you checked out the new Honda Element? 26+mpg. 160hp acura engine. They're actually pretty big inside. I looked at the Jetta Wagon, but the ground clearance in very low.

I test drove one of these and it seemed like a pretty decent vehicle. Features pretty well thought out, a fair though not great amount of room, versatile. Drove nice, had decent power and was reasonably priced in the upper teens.

Eastsider said:

Fairweather said:

Have you checked out the new Honda Element? 26+mpg. 160hp acura engine. They're actually pretty big inside. I looked at the Jetta Wagon, but the ground clearance in very low.

I test drove one of these and it seemed like a pretty decent vehicle. Features pretty well thought out, a fair though not great amount of room, versatile. Drove nice, had decent power and was reasonably priced in the upper teens.

Don't forget ridiculously ugly!

I ordered a Subaru WRX wagon in apsen white color, short-throw shifter, and some other extra goodies. I'll probably take delivery from Wyoming on the weekend, or next week. I'm stoked to get the car. I sold off a trademark to another company, so that's financing the wheels. I look forward to hitting up a pub club when I roll west over the summer selling Go Zaps functional candy (one of my company's products).

thumbs_up.gif

Sweet car man, I think you'll love it. That's defintely one of the best all around vehicles on the market right now. thumbs_up.gif It'll have the power and handling needed to avoid the stuck/spun/flipped/crash SUVs that litter the mountain passes in winter. grin.gif

freeclimb9 said:

I ordered a Subaru WRX wagon in apsen white color, short-throw shifter, and some other extra goodies. I'll probably take delivery from Wyoming on the weekend, or next week. I'm stoked to get the car. I sold off a trademark to another company, so that's financing the wheels. I look forward to hitting up a pub club when I roll west over the summer selling Go Zaps functional candy (one of my company's products).

thumbs_up.gif

that's what I run at the moment (although it's soon to belong to someone else cause of my STI) and it's been my most favorite of all the cars and trucks I've had over the years. Subaru really engineers shit and builds 'em to last. The boxer engine is tit.

trask said:

freeclimb9 said:

thumbs_up.gif

that's what I run at the moment (although it's soon to belong to someone else cause of my STI) and it's been my most favorite of all the cars and trucks I've had over the years. Subaru really engineers shit and builds 'em to last. The boxer engine is tit.

The STI is the *shit*. I shall be quite jealous.

I'm going to try and nurse my car through until this summer when the Forester 2.5XT comes out. More ground clearance, more room, and more torque, and almost as much HP as the WRX. grin.gif Also more practical. There'll definately be a sacrifice in handling, but Foresters don't exactly handle poorly. I just don't know how much it's gonna cost.

I was pretty impressed with the dealer I ordered the car through (picked only because it's relatively close to where I live); They are taking $250 over invoice. That's it. The 82 yr old owner is going to Laramie to drive it back, so I guess the profit is mixed in with the fun. thumbs_up.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

I'm going to try and nurse my car through until this summer when the Forester 2.5XT comes out. More ground clearance, more room, and more torque, and almost as much HP as the WRX. grin.gif Also more practical. There'll definately be a sacrifice in handling, but Foresters don't exactly handle poorly. I just don't know how much it's gonna cost.

Hold the fuck up and stop the press. Aren't you the very wankstain that bitched and bitched about how stupid SUVs were and how those driving them had 2" cocks? At what point does a car stop being a car and become an SUV? I'd reckon that a Forrester is pretty fucking close. It's a lot bigger than most fucking cars which is what you whined about for fucking umpteen pages and at one point threatened to sue me should I crash into you. You're so fucking hypocritical! You can claim it's a car or a fucking crossover but it's semantics. It's classified as a Small Sports Utility Vehicle compared to vehicles such as the Ford Escape, Jeep Wrangler, and Rav4. Fuck off you wanker!!! madgo_ron.gif