Huntington Ravine - Mt. Washington NH

Dennis_the_Menace

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salomon Super 9's would be fine. The cold would be your only concern. I wouldn't be too concerned with it though, I have seen many people climb routes on washington with much less. If you are concerned though, rather than buying a new pair of boots....just get a pair of overboots to keep you warm.

Better safe than sorry, but I hiked the presidential range traverse over 6 days in January in payless hiking boots (no crampons)...or were they hiking boots at all? hummm. Regardless they were from payless. Don't hold be responsible for your toes, but an up and down of huntington ravine doesn't require a hell of a lot.

and no I am not hardcore, I was just poor at the time. smile.gif" border="0

I have climbed Huntington Ravine in January in a pair of old school leather boots with insulated supergators on them. They worked adequately, though if I had owned plastic boots at the time I would have worn the plastics instead.

Even though Mt. Washington is barely over 6,000 feet it can get very cold up there-- think Mt. Rainer cold. I'm sure you've heard the story about the UNH college boy who died trying the Presidential Traverse a few winters back. His partner wrote a story about it-- I think it was published in Climbing.

I'd say if you like your feet, wear your warmest stuff.

sorry for all of the shit you had to read through to get a serious answer. yes, those boots would be perfect. ive climbed all kinds of crap in all kinds of conditions in similar boots (sportivas fit me a lot better) heading up pinnacle? have fun, its a great area - nothing like it anywhere else on the east coast.