Runners on your rack?

Dustin_B

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, wayne, spill your guts. Tell us all about 'em. They look like short Webolettes. How do you shorten them? Same as for regular slings? Breaking strength is 5,000 lbs or 40 kN. That's pretty strong. According to the lit they are good for slinging icicles, etc, on ice climbs. Are they good for rock climbing?

catbirdseat said:

Okay, wayne, spill your guts. Tell us all about 'em. They look like short Webolettes. How do you shorten them? Same as for regular slings? Breaking strength is 5,000 lbs or 40 kN. That's pretty strong. According to the lit they are good for slinging icicles, etc, on ice climbs. Are they good for rock climbing?

Rabbit runners rock. My Trangos only have 4 bar tacks (24kn). The metolius have 6 or 8. (stronger) I like them because when Ice climbing, you don't have to pull it over your arm which is attached to your tool unless you are leashless. You just unclip one biner from the other and pull it out. No getting stuck under your hood either.

You can shorten them 2 ways. If you do the pass one biner through the other and clip the loops thing, you end up with a fairly long quick draw which is a good length for ice climbing. Or you can do that twice to make it really short. All in all a very light draw with many options. Why carry anything else on an alpine climb?

David_Parker said:

My Trangos only have 4 bar tacks (24kn). The metolius have 6 or 8. (stronger)

Don't assume more bar tacks means a stronger sewn sling. There's a point of diminishing return with bartacking since the stitching process itself weakens the webbing. As far as I know, Bluewater has the strongest sewn slings. They sew with spectra via a process that cools the needle to prevent thread melting.

Rabbit runners are a good replacement for some of the shoulder size runners that you ordinarily carry. When stretched full length (with a biner clipped to each end loop) they give the same extension as a double runner. They weigh about the same as a single length runner and are easy to shorten and carry as described in the above posts. They do not replace the two or more double length runners that most people carry; the double length runners can sling a much bigger horn (though two rabbit runners girth hitched together would sling the same horn, and would be easier to get around a big tree). fruit.gif

• 2 weeks later...