Necronomicon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the uriotse guide book is the best.

swains book sux!!

if you need i have topos for the routes i told you about!!

epi is one of the top 5 routes i have ever done!!! wallstain agreed and he is like all traveled and shit!!!

give layton a pat on the ass for trask!!

yellaf.gif

Enjoy the crowds. It'll be a zoo with so many gumby Spring Break kids on the loose. I'll recommend routes, but they could very well have long lines of groups waiting to climb.

Crabby Appleton

Dark Shadows

Frogland

Dream of Wild Turkeys

Olive Oil

Solar Slab

Yellow Brick Road

Crimson Chrysalis

Prince of Darkness

Edge of the Sun

Ixtlan has a good OW if you like em. Get a sport climber to lead the bolted face that you gotta climb to get to it. You can warm up on the Fox in Calico Basin. That one is muy caliente. I nearly exploded following it. Good place to use #6 Friend at the top.

Dude, most of those routes these guys mentioned are pretty good. Get Swain's book if your gonna buy one. It's necessary. The Uriosite book is a good supplement cuz of the photos, although they gave Black Orpheus 17 pitches and we did it w/some simul and some solo in 3, some other weirdness too.

Here's the plan:

No warm up bullshit.

Resolution Arete 20 pitches, one of the longest

Black Orpheus linked w/Chicken Lips 20 pitches

Sour Mash -a few pitches (5-7?)

Dream of Wild Turkeys -a few pitches (same)

Fiddler on the Roof -till we puke or fall.

Other possibilites: Crabby Appleton, Prince of Darkness, Original Route.

the_finger.gif

The new uriosite guide is pretty neat, but also pretty stupid. Go do a new route if you're already done all the classics which is easily doable in a few seasons here.

The one pitch stuff mentioned earlier is all good route, but none are next to each other.

Just climbed there 3 days ago. It's the middle of spring break and it didn't seem that crowded. We headed up Dark Shadows for the first trad route of the year. We ended up doing the 5.8 to 5.10 right side variation then rapping back down and climbing the 5.7 route proper. We thought about going to the top of the tower but after the first pitch above the roof we realized that we wouldn't have enough time. We got a Red Rock Select guidebook from the local climbing shop for $10.50 Enjoy.

michael_layton said:

Other possibilites: Crabby Appleton, Prince of Darkness, Original Route.

the_finger.gif

Crabby Appleton, Edge of Sun and Community Pillar are all awesome routes on the south side of Pine Creek Canyon. Community Pillar is cult classic! Entire thing is chimney, tunnel and Ohh-dubya! I had to take my harness off and hang it from my foot to get past the first chockstone. Go do it. Crabby and Edge of Sun make for good full day with no one around. Last pitches of both are ****.

I'm jealous I want to be in Red Rocks. cry.gif

erik said:

special me and mike got your time smoked!!! dont be braggin with your 3 day effort...you guys fixed lines to the top of the tower right??

Basecamp was established approximately 150 yards from parking lot

Day 2 saw us navigate the extremely primitive trail halfway to the base of climb

Day 3 we managed two pitches before backing off due to a cloud on the horizon which my partner thought might bring a partial blocking of the sun

Day 4 was a rest day

Day 5 we aided the chimney pitches

Day 6 we established our high camp and fixed lines for next season's attempt on this intimidating and mammoth route

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the land of gainful employment after a week in the City of Sin.

Climbed:

Olive Oil

Dream of Wild Turkey

Resolution Arete

Wholesome Fullback

Wanted to do Tunnel Vision too, but a super-slow party in front of us would have made for a too long day after our less than alpine start.

Thanks to all for your route suggestions!!

-J