smithgoers, how to read the weather?

JoshK

Yo all. I've found that after reading the weather for local places over and over I can generally distinguish, to some degree, what local weather will be based on the overall forecast. For example, when looking at the east cascades forecast "mostly cloudy, chance of showers" generally means decent weather in leavenworth.

I'm curious how this goes for smith. I've been looking at the central oregon and john day highlands (is it anywhere near there??) reports. I guess bend and redmond are the nearest cities? Anyway, from this they all seem to be predicting somewhat chilly (highs of 40s to low 50s) and chance of rain/snow for most of the weekend and next week. Can I take this to mean that most likely smith weather is going to suck, or should I know more than this and assume it will be good anyway?

spray away. wave.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, up in the air. skisports and I have from this coming saturday to the sunday following to climb and the weather everywhere is going to suck. banff was the original plan but I'm a pussy and don't feel like drive all the way there, so smiff is an option. so is staying around here and hitting some alpine.

JoshK, check out weather for Redmond and Terrebonne here . If you still want more specific info. I would call Redpoint climbers supply in Terrebonne during normal business hours.

It usually doesn't rain out in the desert, but if a large enough systrem comes through, then the "rain shadow effect" ceases to apply. Best of luck! You can always try and find the caves -at least those that are still open -near Bend. Redpoint may be able to give you directions, or folks who live in the area on this site may know more. Best of luck!

ryland_moore said:

JoshK, check out weather for Redmond and Terrebonne here . If you still want more specific info. I would call Redpoint climbers supply in Terrebonne during normal business hours.

It usually doesn't rain out in the desert, but if a large enough systrem comes through, then the "rain shadow effect" ceases to apply. Best of luck! You can always try and find the caves -at least those that are still open -near Bend. Redpoint may be able to give you directions, or folks who live in the area on this site may know more. Best of luck!

the lava tubes are officially closed until mid april me thinks, for the hibernating Big Eared Townsend Bat. You might get hassled by the man (forest service) if you are caught in the caves. The only safe way is to park furhter off and hike in a few miles so your car isnt' outside the mouth of the cave.

i'm pretty sure horse cave, just NE of Bend isn't affected by these closures but that place is a real dump, but lots of light comes in and makes for good cragging.

all the other tubes are located of China Hat Road, go south on HWY 97 thru bend, just south of town, turn left (east) onto China Hat Road, tubes are on your left all over the place, some signage but not much.