Annoyed with the french?

allthumbs

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is suggesting you should wave the french flag but perhaps you should not be annoyed at other people for not doing what we want them to do, especially if you think that our true interest is in them not doing it.

sexual_chocolate said:

To claim this is some moral stand by the US is a joke.

So what's your point?

Nice way to change my words...I'm going to assum you did it for effect. I never said the U.S. was taking a moral stand. What's the old saying, two wrongs don't make a right? The U.S. may be wrong here, but the worthless french are too.

What's the old saying, two wrongs don't make a right?

wrong analogy, which is surprising because you have plenty of practice at choosing 'the lesser of two evils' (assuming you are right about the evil motives of the french)

France does a lot of business with Iraq. I think that indicates that constructive engagement works, you know, like the USA is so big on with China, but refuses to do with Cuba.... compare relative human rights records as documented by Amnesty International and market sizes...

Look, I didn't say the french were wrong in saying we shouldn't go to far. For the millionth time, I DONT THINK WE SHOULD GO TO WAR WITH IRAQ EITHER! I also never stated that the french's motives were "evil." All I stated is that it pisses me off that the french are playing their reasons off as moral and pure and passive. In reality the only reason the french don't want a war is because it further secures the U.S. position as a superpower and the french position as an onlooker.

JoshK said:

Look, I didn't say the french were wrong in saying we shouldn't go to far. For the millionth time, I DONT THINK WE SHOULD GO TO WAR WITH IRAQ EITHER! I also never stated that the french's motives were "evil." All I stated is that it pisses me off that the french are playing their reasons off as moral and pure and passive. In reality the only reason the french don't want a war is because it further secures the U.S. position as a superpower and the french position as an onlooker.

josh josh josh, the french are not out to diminish american power, the French are out to PROTECT THEIR INVESTMENT....

JoshK said:

In reality the only reason the french don't want a war is because it further secures the U.S. position as a superpower and the french position as an onlooker.

And the real reason the US wants a war is exactly that too. Check out the the Frontline dissection of our reasons for pushing the war that I've plugged here a million times.

Dru said:

JoshK said:

josh josh josh, the french are not out to diminish american power, the French are out to PROTECT THEIR INVESTMENT....

Same thing tongue.gif...it's still not a "moral" reason for no war.

I didn't mean to imply we should "buy American."

I'm totally in favor of complete free trade. It's hard on certain groups in various countries in the short run- no question about it. If you work in an industry whose product can be made elsewhere at lower cost, you're going to suffer with free trade. Everybody else in the country who uses that product, however, is better off, because they can buy whatever you made for less, and will have disposable money left over for things they wouldn't have been able to afford if they had to pay the old, higher price for your product.

There's always a WHOLE lot more of the everybody else than there is of you, so the net impact on the national well-being is greatly positive.

Free trade, without the slightest doubt, produces a higher standard of living for almost everybody, in all countries involved, almost immediately. In the longer term, the displaced people will find new skills and employment and so virtually everybody will be better off.

So, I'm all for free trade, which is the complete opposite of "Buy American."

I just want to put a knee in the French crotch in the short term.

Wine, cheese, designer bottled water and such are pretty easy targets and, I believe, fairly significant quantities in their exports to the US.

You could add the Germans' and Belgians' crotches- wouldn't hurt my feelings.

bigdrink.gif

Dru said:

america inc makes hostile takeover of french assets. war is about control of oil supply. all other arguments demostrably false.

but the opposition to war is also about whether everyone has to bow to our will.

sexual_chocolate said:

Yes I truly am quite furled eyebrows over this french hating going on.

Maybe if someone explained it to me....

The french (and the germans) are the first proponents of Europe, an economic entity which at the present is bigger than us. An independent, economically mature europe would be a serious challenge to our current monopoly on power. That's the real reason. The media version is they are ungrateful.

j_b said:

sexual_chocolate said:

The french (and the germans) are the first proponents of Europe, an economic entity which at the present is bigger than us. An independent, economically mature europe would be a serious challenge to our current monopoly on power. That's the real reason. The media version is they are ungrateful.

Last time I checked the US economy is *significantly* larger than the combined EU economies.

A mature and powerful Europe can only help the US and it's economy, IMHO. Whether GWB knows this or not is beyond me.

Remember, the US used to be the small one compared to Europe and a strong US has certainly helped Europe a great deal as well.

The fact sitting beneath all of this is that oil, and the middle east, are a problem for both Europe and the US. The bickering among GWB and half of Europe helps nobody

j_b said:

sexual_chocolate said:

Well it certainly seems then that they will hold similar diplomatic sway over the "undecided", don't you think?